ac drains battery

collin4

Jul 10, 2011
i have a 95 gt it runs perfect until i turn the ac on while drivn. i have a new alternator, battery, ac compresor and ground wire. when i turn the ac on it runs hotter then normal and drains battery. when i turn ac off itll charge back up and cool down. so what is causin the drain

• Sponsors (?)

I would assume there is something causing excessive drag when the A/C is turned on. My guess is it's the A/C compressor. I don't know what the test is but if that's the problem I suspect the A/C clutch will fail soon. Does the A/C cycle on and off while running? It should. Just thinking that it may be a low refrigerant charge that is causing the A/C to run constantly if it is.

well the ac clutch isnt cyclin. its stayin engaged. i checked the psi it was a lil low 25 and i topped it off around 35 but the clutch still didnt cycle. so what it my next step or my options

well the ac clutch isnt cyclin. its stayin engaged. i checked the psi it was a lil low 25 and i topped it off around 35 but the clutch still didnt cycle. so what it my next step or my options

Pressures are ok to gauge what pressure it has. But I suggest you find out the amount of Freon you have in the system. Under or Over charging the system can cause all sorts of clutch cycling issues.

ok if i drain and recharge, how many cans of freon should it have in it

You don't want to do that. The refrigerant is R134a (not Freon). The system needs to be drawn down to a near perfect vacuum and then recharged. It takes 34 oz of refrigerant and 7 oz of refrigerant oil. When the system is being evacuated the existing R134a is stored and later used as the system be being charged. Being over and under charged can damage components. This is a job best left to repair facilities with the right equipment.

You don't want to do that. The refrigerant is R134a (not Freon). The system needs to be drawn down to a near perfect vacuum and then recharged. It takes 34 oz of refrigerant and 7 oz of refrigerant oil. When the system is being evacuated the existing R134a is stored and later used as the system be being charged. Being over and under charged can damage components. This is a job best left to repair facilities with the right equipment.

Freon is what it uses. R134a is just the type of Freon that our cars use. Older cars, like Foxes, used R12 Freon. I believe you referred to it as Coolant. Coolant is what the radiator uses :)

Toyman is correct, it's MUCH easier if you took it in to evacuate and recharged the system professionally. I used (not 100% sure) 1.8lbs of Freon? I'm not sure on this though. It's stated on the underhood label though.

i took out enough freon to where the clutch on the ac would cycle. its cyclin on and off pretty frequent and its still draing the batteryand runnin hot. so i think that the clutch on the compresor is goin out but hasent locked up yet. so is it easy to change the clutch or just get a new compresor

R-12 vs R-134A

Im fairly certain all newer cars run R-134A as R-12 is discontinued in autos (at least it is in Canada). However I will jump on the bandwagon here and say take it to a shop - R-12 isn't enviormetally friendly. I know when the AC died in my 93 Areostar we had to convert it over, to the newer refrigerent.

i would check your ground wires by the drivers headlight the one on the right tends to corrode and strip out, make sure those are all in good shape and tight. all sorts of things happen when those are not on right, also clarify that it is actually getting as warm as you think if your going by the stock gauge it might not be accurate