Added power for ‘86

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
For this of you that follow my thread, you know I’ve done all the suspension and brakes, and rebuilt my rear with 3:73.(along with plenty of other refurbs along the way) It’s snappy and fun to drive for sure at this point with the gear change. I’m still all stock with the speed density motor.
My budget mind says to do Trick flow heads with the Explorer intake that I already have on the shelf, and leave the stock cam. This way, I believe I can stay speed density. From what I read the ‘86 cam is not too bad anyway.
Where would this get me power-wise? I’m not looking for crazy, just a bit more than stock, without doing a crazy rebuild.
Would this put a smile on my face is what I’m asking!

• Sponsors (?)

Yep,you'll probably have to flycut your pistons though. My old 87' coupe was just GT40 stuff 20yrs ago. Funnest car I've ever owned. It was quick enough (12.80s) but not too much power where it was just boiling the tires.

The good thing about the Trick Flow twisted wedge heads, is that they work with the flat top pistons of the ‘86.
This is in the very early planning stages….. but hopefully some day.
I’d be plenty happy with a 12 second car.

Reactions: 1 user
So all kidding aside……. Nitrous and a crazy blower would be cool, But……..
There are several different Trick Flow TW heads. Where do I start as far as looking at one to pick?

Look at the intake/tb flow capabilities and where the cam works like is it more low end torque or high rpm hp and compare head specs.
But I'm not an expert, hell, the closest I come to being a 'shade tree' mechanic is cause I got trees in my yard. :doh:

Look at the intake/tb flow capabilities and where the cam works like is it more low end torque or high rpm hp and compare head specs.
But I'm not an expert, hell, the closest I come to being a 'shade tree' mechanic is cause I got trees in my yard. :doh:
I have the Explorer intake and TB, so I’m just looking for some heads to match to that. If I need to buy a new TB, that’s fine too.
I’m looking to keep the stock cam so I can use the stock ecu for now….. but it will still get me some more power…….

If you are sticking with the explorer intake, then just go with the TFS170's. the TFS 11R's would be a better head that allows you to grow if you ever decide to change the intake manifold.

It's essentially the combo I am running. TFS170's, ported Cobra intake, 65MM explorer TB. I'm running a custom grind cam with 0.565"/558" and it clears my stock '88 pistons with no flycutting. however, the A9L struggle to run it. Stock cam would help with that regard.

So stick with the TFS170's if you are committed to stock cam and explorer intake. Go 11R if you think you'll pick up a 347 short block and a TFS intake one day

Last edited:
  • Agree
If you are sticking with the explorer intake, then just go with the TFS170's. the TFS 11R's would be a better head that allows you to grow if you ever decide to change the intake manifold.

It's essentially the combo I am running. TFS170's, ported Cobra intake, 65MM explorer TB. I'm running a custom grind cam with 0.565"/558" and it clears my stock '88 pistons with no flycutting. however, the A9L struggle to run it. Stock cam would help with that regard.

So stick with the TFS170's if you are committed to stock cam and explorer intake. Go 11R if you think you'll pick up a 347 short block and a TFS intake one day
I see a few different ones listed….. are you running the 58cc or 61cc chamber?

The good thing about the Trick Flow twisted wedge heads, is that they work with the flat top pistons of the ‘86.
This is in the very early planning stages….. but hopefully some day.
I’d be plenty happy with a 12 second car.
I used the TFS heads on my ‘86 along with an E303 cam with no issues…but I converted to MAF.

Bill

I used the TFS heads on my ‘86 along with an E303 cam with no issues…but I converted to MAF.

Bill
I’d love to do a cam too, but it seems as soon as I bought this, the cheap A9L supply vanished, and now it’s $500 for one that may not even work right.
Then there’s the aftermarket ECU, which is a possibility. Who knows.
I’m going to enjoy it the way it is for a while and keep filling the “envelope” for the next big project. We’ll see where it goes.

I’d love to do a cam too, but it seems as soon as I bought this, the cheap A9L supply vanished, and now it’s $500 for one that may not even work right.
Then there’s the aftermarket ECU, which is a possibility. Who knows.
I’m going to enjoy it the way it is for a while and keep filling the “envelope” for the next big project. We’ll see where it goes.
Just don’t get in too much of a hurry…something will likely turn up when you least expect it. I collected items for a long time, and I’m still looking for some.

Bill

Just don’t get in too much of a hurry…something will likely turn up when you least expect it. I collected items for a long time, and I’m still looking for some.

Bill
That’s how I did my 5 lug conversion. Slow and steady. A lot of refurbishing/ rebuilding of eBay parts, but that was part of the fun. I like the building more than the driving I think.

this is on a Mustang site today:

Attachments

• FD9C2CF8-3010-413C-BD45-A19CB44713B8.png
    FD9C2CF8-3010-413C-BD45-A19CB44713B8.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • B08C9379-3132-4430-A5CF-9F808990E435.png
    B08C9379-3132-4430-A5CF-9F808990E435.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
I'd go with the TW170 heads like mentioned above. They'll clear your pistons and are better in everyway than the E7 or GT40 heads. Besides you'll be shaving off a good bit of weight from the front end and still have a good bit of room to grow performance wise for the future.

I got the new project “envelope” started. Now I just gotta fill it up…… and do my research along the way.
TFS heads are the only way I’d go. Too many sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t stories with any other head and the ‘86 pistons.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users