addition of oil for 134A retrofit

• Sponsors (?)

rockyracoon said:
I am following jrichkers write up on the conversion but there is no mention of the addition of oil or how much he used.Im wondering if he used the cans with the oil allready in the can?
Go back and read it again...

"Then turn the compressor upside down over a bucket and the oil will drain out. Pour a cup full of mineral spirits into the suction side (the side with the biggest hose) and swish it around, turn the compressor hub 5 turns, and dump out the mineral spirits. Set the compressor aside for 30 minutes or so that the mineral spirits can evaporate out. Then add 6-8 oz of r134a compatible oil to the suction port, swish it around while you turn the hub 10 turns so that the oil coats everything real good. Get the new O rings, coat them with oil, and replace the O rings at the flange joint you took apart. Re-install the compressor in the vehicle."

"Install the new dryer/receiver, R134a service port adapter, connect the compressor, add about more 4oz of oil to high pressure line and tighten up all the lines. "

I used oil the the screw top cans, not the R134a + oil pressurized cans.

rockyracoon said:
jrichker,I was wondering if you went ahead and swapped out the orifice tube or not.
I purchased one but never installed it. It wasn't easily accessible, so I counted on the flush to clean the orifice tube & screen

well I was getting ready to start today but something came up rather unexpectedly so I had to put it on hold.but on a good note, this morning I got a working refrigerator compressor for $10.00 from a local salvage place,got the plug and all.Im gettin really buisy in work for a while so I may have to wait up on the conversion for a while.The next car in line to get A/C service,is the wifes car,I just found out that it is having probs.so at least ill get to try out the new manifold gauge set.