Adjustable or Non Adjustable UCA's?

GTtopLESS

Nov 8, 2007
I am holding off replacing my U joints because I assume they are worn due to my car being dropped nearly 2 inches. Do you all think getting the adjustable UCAs is the only smart move? After looking at bids on ebay I am confused what brand to get. I found some Lakwood adjustables that fit from 79-04. A set of Steeda UCAs says it only fits 79-98. And BMR fits 79-01. WTF? Why are these people not sure of years they fit? Do they all fit an 02 GT? What brand do you all recommend? Sorry for all the Qs.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't believe that the UCAs really do anything on 94-04's, other than relieving the abused and old stock rubber bushings. However, they do work well on 79-93's because their stock setup was pretty soft, and aftermarket UCAs eliminate the side to side motion.

I'm a fan of MM for pretty much anything suspension, but with the UCAs doing so little for our SN-95's, any aftermarket set will do. Look to spend a little over $100.

The interchange is 79-98 and 99-04. The sites that say 79-04 are WRONG!!!! See...what they are doing is they are selling 79-98 kits with hardware, so they will fit 99-04 cars. 79-98 cars use 12mm bolts, and 99-04 use 14mm bolts. If you put the 79-98 stuff in a 99-04, it will fit, BUT....the bolts are 2mm smaller than the holes in the body, so they will have a little play, which can lead to major damage and ripping of the torqu boxes and body mounts.

If they are adjustable then u can dial in ur pinon angle to get better 60 foots. And I think all the uppers are the same. Only the lowers differ for the 99+ cars b/c of a parking brake bracket or something like that. (can't remember why, sorry). But if u look at summitt or jegs then u should find what ones go back and forth between the years.

If they are adjustable then u can dial in ur pinon angle to get better 60 foots. And I think all the uppers are the same. Only the lowers differ for the 99+ cars b/c of a parking brake bracket or something like that. (can't remember why, sorry). But if u look at summitt or jegs then u should find what ones go back and forth between the years.

Read post above yours.

Ahhh, those BASTARDS...I dont really plan on drag racing very often, more of a get sideways around corners kind of guy...IF I do not replace with adjustables and fix my pinion angle, wont I keep breaking U Joints? Thanks for the help!:flag:

The interchange is 79-98 and 99-04. The sites that say 79-04 are WRONG!!!! See...what they are doing is they are selling 79-98 kits with hardware, so they will fit 99-04 cars. 79-98 cars use 12mm bolts, and 99-04 use 14mm bolts. If you put the 79-98 stuff in a 99-04, it will fit, BUT....the bolts are 2mm smaller than the holes in the body, so they will have a little play, which can lead to major damage and ripping of the torqu boxes and body mounts.

You sure about this ? When I swaped to the 8.8 in my old V6 I put in some aftermarket arms Hotchkis arms off of a 96. The upper arms went in fine with my stock hardware. The lower arms needed different bushings to fit properly.

You shouldn't be breaking u joints with stock type or even decent power. The will wear out quicker from the exaggerated angles they are having to compensate for. If u want traction, get adj uppers and get a good set. HPM make great stuff, I have also had great luck with Lakewood Traction bars as well. I have to admit, I've never used uppers, only lowers so I have no real advice on which ones to buy from personal experience. Just know what lowers have been good to me compared to what my friends have used.

You sure about this ? When I swaped to the 8.8 in my old V6 I put in some aftermarket arms Hotchkis arms off of a 96. The upper arms went in fine with my stock hardware. The lower arms needed different bushings to fit properly.

Actually, you are right on the uppers. The uppers are the same. I put 2001 upper control arms in my 81 notch with hardware. It was the lowers that I had to file out the holes in the body.

BUT...if the guy is gonna buy a kit of UCA and LCA, he should stick to 79-98 or 99-04 because he doesn't want to get the wrong lowers.

I don't believe that the UCAs really do anything on 94-04's, other than relieving the abused and old stock rubber bushings. However, they do work well on 79-93's because their stock setup was pretty soft, and aftermarket UCAs eliminate the side to side motion.

I'm a fan of MM for pretty much anything suspension, but with the UCAs doing so little for our SN-95's, any aftermarket set will do. Look to spend a little over $100.

Same UCA are in the 79-04 cars and they all suck.

I like being able to dial in my suspension so I would go with adjustable uppers so you can at least set your pinion angle.

Bill

A friend of mine is running 9.30's with FRPP stock replacment UCA's. Mega Bite Jr's lowers and 305-35-18 M/T ET streets. Car is sick...should go 8's if it would hook.

From what I am understanding now, adjustable UCAs may not be worth the green. I just want my car to handle great, for now. At some point I will morethan likely add boost. Thanks for the help

There are only 2 reasons to buy adjustable uppers. If you are lowered and have poly or solid bushings you can reset your pinion angle. And to preload your suspension (mostly for drag racing). Most uppers really do nothing for traction or handeling. There are only 2 companys out there that make uppers designed to improve traction, Baseline suspension and TeamZ.