after market steering wheel?

• Sponsors (?)

I did the FR500 wheel, and it is great. The leather is quality, and stuffed just a little fuller, so it feels like it means business (little more sporty).

I also have the craptastic tan interior. I painted the airbag cover black to match, and that seems to be holding up well (only one spec of a chip). And the black wheel blends in perfect with the black gauge pod and black center console.

I checked my car domain to see if I had a pic available to post - none. I'll try to get something up. But in my humble opinion, it's a great improvement over the soccer-mom looking tan steering wheel.

GRGT1994 said:
And the black wheel blends in perfect with the black gauge pod and black center console.

The previous owner of my '95 must've worn a ring w/sharp edges because my wheel is torn at the 10:00 position.
I'd like to get this newer wheel, but I wondered if the black color was a little "off" from our interior black color like some of the later model black is??
Love to see a picture of it installed.

I am also interested in seeing some aftermarket wheels; my car was previously wreaked and the airbags were deployed, making my wheel and also the passenger side lower dash look like crap. Since I have no airbags anyway, I will be going with an aftermarket wheel.

GRGT1994 said:
I did the FR500 wheel, and it is great. The leather is quality, and stuffed just a little fuller, so it feels like it means business (little more sporty).

I also have the craptastic tan interior. I painted the airbag cover black to match, and that seems to be holding up well (only one spec of a chip). And the black wheel blends in perfect with the black gauge pod and black center console.

I checked my car domain to see if I had a pic available to post - none. I'll try to get something up. But in my humble opinion, it's a great improvement over the soccer-mom looking tan steering wheel.
That would be great!

OK, I'm gonna go take some pics to show. But just to clear it up, the black is perfectly fine with the other black in my interior. No match issues. It looks fine, quite good actually.

And while some might think this is kindof a waste mod - you could spend that cash a number of other places. Think about this, the parts of the car you look at and handle most is the steering wheel and shifter. So spend a few bucks there on quality (FRP500 wheel and MGW shifter) and you will ALWAYS appreciate it. It makes the car feel like it's instantly worth 50% more IMHO.

OK, here's some pics I just took. Since I had to use flash, the color looks a little off. But I think that's more to do with the way different surfaces react to heavy flash.

Take my word for it, I had the car out many days in full sun - top down - and the color looks dead nuts on. Here you go:

680313_27_full.jpg

680313_28_full.jpg

It would have been incredibly easy, except I mucked up the wheel puller tool. I didn't put the little cap on the end of it, so the thrust bolt drove into the hub and stripped out the threads (I ended up bending the crap out of the hub too). So, in the process of being frustrated with that issue, I man handled the airbag coil, and mucked that up too. I had the dealer yank and replace the hub. Still haven't replaced the coil.

That said, if you do the wheel puller right, it's quite easy. I got it from 50Resto for whatever they charge.

Oh and heed all the warnings about the airbag (handle with care). You dont want that pack blowing up on you.

The interior paint from 50Resto. It's high quality paint in a very good spray can. No drips, no runs, and an incredibly thin coat (apply 3 coats).

Make sure you get the right year black.

Steeda90GT said:
The wheel looks OK in that second pic, still a little off imo. Maybe Im just too anal. The only suggestion I would make is it to paint the steering wheel collar to match.
Like I said above, the difference you see is a factor of the flash. I have driven the car many days in full sun (top down), overcast, etc. , and have had plenty of opportunity to compare the color match in real world lighting conditions. I'm very anal in this regard too. And trust me, it is an absolute match. In the picture, you will notice how different materials absorb or reflect light (especially camera flash) differently. But in person, it looks like a factory part.