After SCT Tune, CEL still won't go off

Dubl10

Apr 1, 2005
Hello,

Okay before I knew why my car wasn't running good and I had the check engine light on, it was because of my Steeda CAI. I knew I needed a tune, so I bought the SCT Cal2, told them the mods I had on it, etc.... I flashed my car last night, everything went perfect, just like the directions stated. The car drove a lot better, back to what it should have been. No light came on. But again, after I turned the car off, turned the car back on, about a minute later after driving, the Check Engine Light comes on again.

What is wrong anybody know. it's almost like, the tune wasn't correct and I still have to much air flow from my CAI going in, like the car could still get more power out of it or something. I just want the darn light to go off and everything be perfect again.

• Sponsors (?)

CAI's cause the car to go way lean. It's possible that whoever sent you the tune did not quite get the air/fuel mixture just right. It might be much better than what is was before the tune but still not just right which causes the CEL to come on. Call whoever you got the tune from and let them know the problem. Also, the best thing to do since every car is different is take your tuner to a place that does custom tunes on a dyno and have them do it. Go to www.sctflash.com and put in your zip code in the dealer locator and call the shops in your area to price out custom tunes.

I8URVTEC said:
CAI's cause the car to go way lean. It's possible that whoever sent you the tune did not quite get the air/fuel mixture just right. It might be much better than what is was before the tune but still not just right which causes the CEL to come on. Call whoever you got the tune from and let them know the problem. Also, the best thing to do since every car is different is take your tuner to a place that does custom tunes on a dyno and have them do it. Go to www.sctflash.com and put in your zip code in the dealer locator and call the shops in your area to price out custom tunes.

that is what i was thinking to about the CAI, thanks for the info!

The error code is P0171 and P0174, which means System too lean -

I think my air/fuel mixture isn't right on. It's better after the tune, but not quite there yet.

Yea, that's what I was saying. The computer will adjust I think 5% in either direction to correct A/F. With your tune you might be just outside of that so it is just tripping your CEL. Best thing to do is drop the "canned" tunes and get a dyno tune done for your car. Each car is different and what might work with another car with the exact same mods as you might not work for your car.

I had the same problem with the Steeda tune. Steeda told me that they didn't have a fix. However, I contacted SCT and they emailed me a tune that ROCKS. My car has run like a champ ever since. I would talk to SCT before you spend any more $$ at a shop.

Go onto sctflash.com and go in the forums and tell them what's going on. I had the same exact problem. Turns out the tune I was given had the wrong size MAF programmed, and I'm willing to bet it's the same with yours because Steeda actually used 2 different sizes. I believe the tune that worked for me was programmed for a 80mm MAF. Justin over there sent me quite a few different tunes. Just get on there and post your problem and upload your tune files, and one of them will get it fixed for you.

DarkFireGT said:
Go onto sctflash.com and go in the forums and tell them what's going on. I had the same exact problem. Turns out the tune I was given had the wrong size MAF programmed, and I'm willing to bet it's the same with yours because Steeda actually used 2 different sizes. I believe the tune that worked for me was programmed for a 80mm MAF. Justin over there sent me quite a few different tunes. Just get on there and post your problem and upload your tune files, and one of them will get it fixed for you.

How do you find out which size is your Steeda CAI??? All I could find out was that I went to Steeda.com, entered my part number which was: 555-3120 and all I got was:

It's the - Steeda High Velocity Cold Air Kit for '05 GT

Description:

555-3120 Cold Air Kit - 2005 GT (Steeda High Velocity Cold Air Kit for '05 GT )

Gain horsepower and torque with this straightforward upgrade. Lifetime filter can be cleaned and re-oiled, but the big news here is that we've streamlined the airflow in the 05 Mustang to the point that a computer re-flash isn't just an option, it's required! Check out the SCT Xcalibrator - the perfect tool for the job, or the new Steeda Predator with Custom Tunes!

The kit is supplied with a stainless steel air box with built-in velocity stack and CNC billet aluminum mass air meter. It mounts in the factory location with the supplied rubber trim to seal it against the hood & fender to keep the hot air out. The Steeda Lifetime Filter can easily be cleaned and re-oiled, making maintenance a snap. All hardware required for installation is included in the kit.

When we bolted this kit into Todd Regnaert's Sonic Blue Steeda, we found it made 22 ft/lbs of additional torque and 26.7 more horsepower. Check out the Dyno Chart.

Dyno Chart:

THE FAST TRACK

Item: Steeda High
Velocity Cold Air Kits
Application: 2005 Mustang
Steeda P/N: 555-3120
MSRP: $299.95

The latest performance upgrade from Steeda Autosports has arrived like a breath of fresh air. The Steeda High Velocity Cold Air Kit for your 05 Mustang has earned it's name honestly, borne out by the fact that the computer must be re-calibrated to let the engine properly utilize all of that additional oxygen!
The kit is supplied with a stainless steel air box with built-in velocity stack and CNC billet aluminum mass air meter. It mounts in the factory location with the supplied rubber trim to seal it against the hood & fender to keep the hot air out. The Steeda Lifetime Filter can easily be cleaned and re-oiled, making maintenance a snap. All hardware required for installation is included in the kit.

To maximize the benefit of all the additional airflow, the computer must be re flashed (Steeda Autosports uses the SCT Xcalibrator for this purpose). With the kit installed and the computer re calibrated, we found 26.7 ponies at the rear wheels, and 22 additional ft/lbs of torque. Those are substantial gains, verified on the Steeda Dyno.

Steeda's High Velocity Cold Air Kit - all the fresh air your pony car can handle! Just another breath of fresh air from the leader in Mustang Performance.

For additional information: Contact Your Steeda Rep: 954-960-0774 / [email protected]

Or Purchase Online Now

Attached is a picture of both the CAI and a Dyno Sheet they had on their site of the one that I have.

That is all the info I know about it.

------

I'm just having people adjust my tune and where trying to correct this problem. It's taking awhile. I'm confident we will get it, just want to help out in anyway that I can by getting as much info as I can.

Attachments

• Dyno Sheet.jpg
    Dyno Sheet.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 98
  • CAI.gif
    CAI.gif
    42 KB · Views: 133
Did you go on SCTFlash.com and talk with anyone there? They'll get you fixed up. I didn't know there was anything different, he just gave me a couple to try and the 80mm one worked.

What other mods do you have? If they're similar, you can try my tune.

yeah i went on there, and someone is trying to help me. MikeR@SCT asked me this:

Ok, which cai do you have on the car? Which size of the steeda I should say.

And then I said:

good question, I dont' know, how do i find that out? Does it say it somewhere on the box that it came in, or in the manual or directions? Or does it simply tell me on the actual CAI that I can look at under the hood?

and then he said:

That I don't know. Maybe find the part number of the one you have and check steeda's site. I haven't really looked at them much personally.

and that is when I went to steeda.com, put in my part number and then I posted everything that i just posted on here, and I haven't gotten a response yet from him.

http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2805&page=2&pp=10

Here are the details of my car.

05 Mustang GT, 4.6L Automatic
Jet Throttle body Spacer
Steeda Cool Air Intake
and then the SCT tuner obviously.

That's it.

Well you could go out and measure the MAF. I'm willing to bet if they tune they gave you didn't work, you have the 80 mm one. So just try that. Have him give you a tune for the 80mm and 90mm.

DarkFireGT said:
Well you could go out and measure the MAF. I'm willing to bet if they tune they gave you didn't work, you have the 80 mm one. So just try that. Have him give you a tune for the 80mm and 90mm.

well I don't know how to measure the MAF, but I posted a message over at sct to ask them if they could take my tune that I upload and adjust it into two tunes, one for the 80mm and one for the 90mm, so lets see if they do that for me and upload them. I'm waiting for an answer.

I would call them, but it's saturday now, so they are closed, and I'm also, in the mean time waiting for an email reply from mustangtuning.com where I bought my xcal, this guy nick has been working with me. I did some data log with the labtop and sent him the log and he is helping me adjust my tune.

It sucks bad, cause i've driving my car around for like 2 weeks with the check engine light on, and my car running too lean, I hate that, i feel like i'm hurting my car. I want to get this right as quickly as I can.

Thanks for you help!!!

DarkFireGT said:

dude, I believe it works now. Ryan over there gave me a tune for 90mm and so far, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. It's awesome, rides smooth and everything. Hopefully it stays that way, which I'm sure it will. But looks like I finally got this fixed.

Thanks for all your help!!!!! :nice: