Aftermarket AOD shifter in a console

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
Anyone use an aftermarket shifter in an auto, console car? I made the console and I would like to replace the original. Any advice? I am thinking the B&M Hammer shifter, but the console unit they sell is for a fox or later car.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/68converted/Console.jpg

This is the last pic I have. It is almost complete now, with the cup holders in and the guage pods cut out. The shifter hole sits about 2 inches above the tunnel.

• Sponsors (?)

I got the B&M hammer shifter in my Fox and now I know why they call it a hammer shifter because I would like to take a hammer to it. (POS) It is a very sloppy shifter. It will be replaced after only one season with a more precise Hurst Quarter shifter.

B&M used to make an aluminum console shifter for the fox body cars, i think it was a hammer shifter as well, but i haven't seen one in years. i've been wanting one of those since i first saw them but they were too expensive for me at the time when they came out and now they are no longer available. i try to keep my eye out for used ones on ebay but no luck there either.

truck90278: The console was made out of fiberglass. My main concern with any of the shifters is how high they sit. The console sits a little higher than the original shifter plate, and when I have it pulled all the way back into OD/3rd position it hits the back of the cutout (which is already pretty long) I was thinking that if the Hurst/B&M shifters sit a little higher it would work pretty good. I have also heard that the ratchet style shifters require tunnel re-enforcement... I am ok with that.

Thanks for the input on the hammer unit.