Aftermarket CAM closest to stock 94/95?

doctorj357

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
Without going into a lot of detail why, I am returning my 95 GTS with 55k miles, back to mostly stock. I will be running the stock ECU, MAF, 19lb injectors (ev6), ported factory upper/lower intake, rebuilt E7 heads ported with 3deg valve grind and 1.6 rockers. My end game is to be in the 225-240hp range. Only component I can't find is a new cam closest to stock profile. Does anyone have a recommendations what off-shelf cam is closest to the factory specs for 94/95 5.0? I don't want to buy used from a junk yard and can't find NOS for 95/95 cars.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Regarding the “closest to stock” Cam parameters for your 1995 Mustang GTS, the below IS the stock. I use Sealed Power for all OE reversion Cam’s.
#(CS760) CAM is $279.79 at Rock Auto..$327.99 at Summit- same part; Sealed Power.(Rock Auto & Summit link below).
Key in your info at Rock Auto.
Cam KIT (KCT760) @ Rock Auto 480$: Includes #CS760 H.R.Cam/H.R.Lifters/Timing set. Unsure about included Gaskets.
IF you need Gaskets ($90 Ford Master Kit) at Jeg’s. Gaskets pricey @ Summit(!). (link below).
Lucas semi Synthetic Ass’y lube (#10153-1), or Clevite’s (#2800-B2), or Comp’s.

(Single pattern H.Roller)
Stock lift: 0.445 (I & E)
Lobe lift :0.278 (I & E)
Stock R.Ratio: 1.6
0.278 • 1.6 = 0.444.8 (Valve lift).
Lobe separation was: 115
Sealed Power CS760
  • CS760
Cam TypeHROL
Intake Lift0.278
Exhaust Lift.278
Intake Duration210
ExhaustDuration.210
(CAM)

FORD PERFORMANCE GASKETS: (90$)
Ok, think that cover’s it.
Good luck!
-John

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have a 94' Cobra cam and heads here if you are interested. They are used, but worked fine when removed. Should be so close to stock no one will ever know the difference. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Kurt

I have a 94' Cobra cam and heads here if you are interested. They are used, but worked fine when removed. Should be so close to stock no one will ever know the difference. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Kurt

Dive on this, GT40 Heads are much better than ported or tricked E7's. Maybe have the GT40's ported.

I have a stock cam for sale if there is something wrong with yours (65,000 miles).

Actually I'd upgrade the cam if you're going through the process of changing it anyway. You get a split duration cam with a high LSA of 113+ and you'll have zero idle issues. Crower 15511 (baby cam) comes to mind. Increase the lift if you run 1.7 rockers.

Crower 15511, Valve Lift Intake w/1.6 rockers-.468, Valve Lift Exhaust w/1.6 rockers-.486, Duration Intake (at .050)-218, Duration Exhaust (at .050)-224, Lobe Center-114, Emission Legal-Yes

Dive on this, GT40 Heads are much better than ported or tricked E7's. Maybe have the GT40's ported.

I have a stock cam for sale if there is something wrong with yours (65,000 miles).

Actually I'd upgrade the cam if you're going through the process of changing it anyway. You get a split duration cam with a high LSA of 113+ and you'll have zero idle issues. Crower 15511 (baby cam) comes to mind. Increase the lift if you run 1.7 rockers.

Crower 15511, Valve Lift Intake w/1.6 rockers-.468, Valve Lift Exhaust w/1.6 rockers-.486, Duration Intake (at .050)-218, Duration Exhaust (at .050)-224, Lobe Center-114, Emission Legal-Yes

Just to be clear these are stock GT40 heads from a Cobra, not the more desirable GT40Ps from an Explorer.

Kurt

P’s will make more power but fitting headers is the pita. Once Ford Racing discontinued its P shorty header, a lot of guys lost interest in them.

The standard GT40s fit better, even in non-mustang applications. So the demand is still high.

If you gave me the choice between GT40 and GT40Ps I would pick the non-P....and this cam

If the OP wants a stock cam, I’d at least try and grab an 85-88 camshaft. It’s a tiny bit more aggressive, however in a post on a different forum, Ed Curtis did suggest that when checking profiles on stock cams, they are all over the place and rarely what the spec sheet claims. Probably a good reason why some stock mustangs run poorly and some run like a raped ape stock

P’s will make more power but fitting headers is the pita. Once Ford Racing discontinued its P shorty header, a lot of guys lost interest in them.

The standard GT40s fit better, even in non-mustang applications. So the demand is still high.

If you gave me the choice between GT40 and GT40Ps I would pick the non-P....and this cam

If the OP wants a stock cam, I’d at least try and grab an 85-88 camshaft. It’s a tiny bit more aggressive, however in a post on a different forum, Ed Curtis did suggest that when checking profiles on stock cams, they are all over the place and rarely what the spec sheet claims. Probably a good reason why some stock mustangs run poorly and some run like a raped ape stock

I need to keep my distance with Ed Curtis, but $849 is a lot for a cam. That's like aluminum head money. Plus, if this is about returning to stock, the last thing you want is a cam with 108 degree lobe seperation.

Kurt

I swear that cam was cheaper before.

Edit: looks like what I posted was a kit with springs and pushrods. The cam alone is $350 which is custom grind ballpark. I could have sworn it was a bit cheaper than that still

I swear that cam was cheaper before.

Edit: looks like what I posted was a kit with springs and pushrods. The cam alone is $350 which is custom grind ballpark. I could have sworn it was a bit cheaper than that still

Much more reasonable. 108 degree lobe seperation though. Sounds like a trophy stock cam or something.

Kurt

The stock cam in the Cobra is just slightly more aggressive (a bit on par with the Crower 15511 mentioned earlier). I’ve had people ask me if my ‘95 Cobra has an aftermarket cam.

Cobra cam, taking up space in the shop. Going cheap. Make it worth the effort of shipping, and it's yours. About to chuck these GT40s in the scrap metal pile.

Kurt

Ended up getting the Melling SYB-51 for $211 on rockauto. Price was what attracted me initially, but its Michigan based (as am I) was a no brainer. Putting the cam in sometime in April.

Reactions: 1 user