aftermarket rockers

• Sponsors (?)

Right now car is 88GT with K&n, silencer gone, 70mm throttle body, Edlebrock rpm upper and lower intake, stock long block, A/C delete, smog pump hollowed out (free wheelin) , MAC LT's and O/R H, 2Chamber Flows out back, and 13Deg of timing. I will be doing rebuild to stock specs with some port and polish on the stock heads so I thought I might as well get a jump start on rebuild parts with some 1.6 crane rockers if it's worth it. As of rebuild I will be keeping stock cam (88 cam is good) and staying SD...LONG LIVE SD...I like it and will be keeping it.

I'd suggest some 1.72, it will get the most lift out of the stock cam.

And you'll like the SD till your mods go beyond it's ability to run correctly/make the most power.

matm347 said:
I'd suggest some 1.72, it will get the most lift out of the stock cam.

And you'll like the SD till your mods go beyond it's ability to run correctly/make the most power.

i agree, gears are always good too but expect to drop 400-500 bux for gears and install.

In the last year I've seen two dyno tests in Ford/Mustang mags with before/after on 1.6 stocker to 1.7 roller rocker changes. One was mildly modded 302 efi with H/C/I/exhaust mods. It actually lost 1HP at peak, and was basically the same throughout the rpm band with the 1.6's as it was with the 1.7's. The other was a carbed 302 with stock HO cam, and AFR165 heads. It gained 18HP with the switch - they attributed that to the 165's liking the extra lift.

I agree with the other posters above - I'd save my money and put in a set of gears. Much better/bigger bang for the buck.

...unless you happen to have the valve covers off anyway at some point as the installation of pedestal mount rockers is simple and quick. 1.7's are a reasonable mod that typically show some HP increase and are also reputed to help lower oil temps.

I was looking into doing this aswell, but at the same time i would be porting out the stock E7's and getting a valvejob at the same time...how much to the RR cost? Would it even be worth it? thanks