Aftermarket Speakers

Oct 12, 2016
a lot of people say that with the mach460 sound system you should get component speakers or just not do aftermarket speakers at all. Has anyone ever put aftermarket speakers in their Mach 460 system and got good results??. I want to just get some 6x8 coaxial instead of doing the whole component thing.

• Sponsors (?)

My late best friend had several Mach460 cars and he and I put aftermarket speakers in all of them. The Mach460's are not bad, they are low powered, but not bad. If you just want different speakers, make sure they are the same impedance as the Mach460 speakers and have a high sensitivity rating/lower power rating and you can use the factory amplifiers. The best/better/safest/smartest way is to remove ALL of the Mach460 components, amps, speakers and use aftermarket amps and speakers. Takes more money and time, but worth it. We never used the factory Mach460 amplifiers because the impedance's are weird. You can use the inputs from the amps to send signals to aftermarket amps. Fiddling around with the Mach460 components is a pain though. Strip it, replace with aftermarket and pat yourself on the back.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input! The Mach 460 is a total nightmare for people that like aftermarket audio. I might even just keep the stock speakers and just do a head unit and subwoofer and call it good. But even the sub woofer seems like a lot because of the factory amps. I don’t know much about audio this just seems like a lot. Do you have any experience just putting in new speakers with the same amplifiers and them sounding good?

Not with the factory amplifiers no. They do make harnesses for head units that bypass the factory amps though. You could always do that and run the Mach460 speakers and or later, add your own amplifiers when you want as well as speakers.

Not with the factory amplifiers no. They do make harnesses for head units that bypass the factory amps though. You could always do that and run the Mach460 speakers and or later, add your own amplifiers when you want as well as speakers.
Would I need to use crossovers if I got a new woofer and tweeter setup for the doors? Or is it already wired so I can just put them in, in place of the old speakers?

I believe the factory amplifiers are already doing the crossing over. Aftermarket amplifiers 99% of the time will have adjustable crossovers built in. Let me ask... What is your goal for the stereo? What are you wanting it to do?

Let me add a few things...

You can leave all the Mach460 stuff in the car (wires, harnesses, amplifiers) and add an aftermarket head unit and run all new wires (RCA's, speaker wires, power and ground wires). It's not hard to do, just time consuming but you save time by not removing the Mach460 stuff except the speakers.

There are several viable options. I will list two:

1. New Head unit - New Speakers (powered by the head unit) - Amplified Subwoofer.
2. New Head unit - New Speakers - Non-Powered Subwoofer - 5 Channel Amplifier (Powers everything)

All of these items can be purchased all at once or piece by piece. Option two is the way I would go. One amplifier to power all the speakers which simplifies the install. Make sure your battery and alternator are in good shape.

What you would need:

1. Head Unit $$
2. Speakers $$
3. Subwoofer $-$$$
4. Amplifier $$-$$$$$
5. Amplifier install kit $-$$$
6. Patience - Free

$ less expensive $$$$$ more expensive.

Last edited:
For now I just want to be able to get clear sound without the distortion that I’m getting now. I can have my volume about half way up then I get bad sound. In my old car W/o all the Mach stuff I had a head unit and kickers all around and I really liked that sound and was satisfied without a sub. I’m pretty picky about sound but I want to figure something out without things getting too complicated. I just ordered a Kenwood head unit, 22x4 rms 80x4 peak. Do you think I would be able to install a component set up in the doors and the rear deck with the factory amps and new HU or am I going to have to get rid of the amps and start fresh?

With bass blockers on the tweeters of course because I read that they’re set up to respond all the way down to 300hz and that’s way low for the tweets and I wouldn’t want to put unnecessary stress on them.

i guess what you said up above answers my question. You’re right the impendence is super stupid with those amps. So you think if I put some 4 ohm speakers in the wouldn’t sound good?

300hz will blow most tweeters with any decent amount of power. I have seen some LARGE tweeters (2"-3.5") crossed over as low as 1600hz but they double as Mid/Tweeter. For MOST 1/2" - 1.5" tweeters, frequencies of 2800hz - 4000hz are the normal crossover points with the smaller diameter tweeters being crossed over higher.

I run a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998 HU in my Jeep grand Cherokee. I think they make great head units. I would not try to use the Mach460 amps. I would not shy away from these 6x8's (Pioneer TS-D6802R) or (Rockford Fosgate T1682 Power Series) and an at least "legitimate" 100 watts RMS by 4 channel amplifier and call it a day. You will still be able to add and upgrade later though with these two choices you may never feel the need. If you use either of these two choices for speakers, you WILL NOT have to add tweeters unless you really really REALLY like treble. ;)

No, it's not that easy but it's not hard. When you are getting ready to put the Kenwood in you will need to run two sets of RCA cables to the trunk from the Kenwood. It should/will have at least front and rear RCA outputs. Connect the RCA cables to the Kenwood, run them to the trunk to the NEW aftermarket 4 channel amp. You will also need at this time to install and amp wiring kit. You should, to do it correctly, run all new speaker wires from the amp to the doors and rear speakers. Again, time consuming but not that hard.

Let me make you a list, you will thank me when it's all done.

1. Buy the amp.
2. Buy a radio wire harness for the Kenwood that bypasses the Mach460 amplifiers. (From a local car audio shop)
3. Buy the amp wire kit. (From Walmart... the 1600w kit. It is a decent kit and comes with most of what you need)
4. Buy the speakers.
5. Buy 14 or 16awg speaker wire 100ft (From Walmart)

The radio install should take about an hour. The Amplifier wire kit another 45 minutes. The speakers about an hour. Running new speaker wires about 30 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
Putting together everything I need to buy right now. Doing a 4 channel for the speakers and a mono amp for the subwoofer. Might be a stupid question but, do I need one or two sets of RCA cables for the 4 channel, to wire up four speakers. I’m pretty sure I just need one set for the amp but I’m just making sure.

Putting together everything I need to buy right now. Doing a 4 channel for the speakers and a mono amp for the subwoofer. Might be a stupid question but, do I need one or two sets of RCA cables for the 4 channel, to wire up four speakers. I’m pretty sure I just need one set for the amp but I’m just making sure.

You will need 2 sets for the 4 channel and one additional set for the subwoofer amplifier.