• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Air in the tank??

  • Thread starter Thread starter hotwheels66
  • Start date Start date Jul 4, 2004
H

hotwheels66

New Member
Apr 6, 2004
2
0
0
Jul 4, 2004
#1
  • Jul 4, 2004
  • #1
Hi everyone,
I got gas today and in the heat of the Souhern California sun, I forgot to put the gas cap on. I drove for a couple of minutes before someone was kind enough to let me know. I put the cap back on, drove off and all over sudden the engine started to develop this loud popping sound, like misfirings. It sounds like air pockets exploding. Also, obviously performance went to zip. I didn't know if I got a bad tank of gas or something, but I had no choice but continue driving. I got better after a while, but the engine now still sounds rough.

Could I have air in the fuel system from leaving the cap off? Does it eventually go away completely or do I need to have ot flushed or something?
I got a half tank of 91 octane gas (highest octane here), which is what I always get, same brand too (76).

I just had it rebuilt to spec 700 miles ago and just had in the shop for adjustments 2 days ago, so I'm positive it ran great before this happened.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate any help on this! My shop won't open for a few days b/c of the holiday and I wanna drive my baby!

Thanks!!

It's a 66 C-code Coupe, 289, Holly Street Avenger carb, Edelbrock Performer intake, rebuilt auto tranny, dual exhausts.

- HotWheels66
 

5.0n66

New Member
Nov 19, 2002
88
0
0
New Holland (Lancaster, PA)
Jul 5, 2004
#2
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #2
Does it run ok with the cap back off again?
usually problems associated with gascaps and engine running poorly is due to gascap not venting properly. This doesnt allow air to come into the tank to replace the gas that is going to the engine and a vacuum forms that the fuel pump has to work against and the engine wont get enough fuel.......as far as air getting into the fuel it's not a problem if it's a stock setup and you havent been driving on cobblestone roads at breakneck speeds(unless it's an EFI setup), b/c carb'd cars dont have a return line that can cause turbulence in the tank that creates air bubbles... and since it doesnt have that turbulence any air that is in the tank will stay in the upper part of the tank where it belongs since gas is heavier.
 
H

hotwheels66

New Member
Apr 6, 2004
2
0
0
Jul 5, 2004
#3
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #3
Thanks for the help! I'll try it with the gas cap off and see. Maybe I put it on wrong or something.
It's a stock setup and the original gas cap. Do they usually have to be replaced?
 

Glen's 1965 5.0

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2001
477
0
0
Tomball,Texas
Jul 5, 2004
#4
  • Jul 5, 2004
  • #4
Vent check

Looking at the backside of the cap, there should be a small hole in the center. You can put a vacuum gauge on it and see if it builds a vacuum. (It shouldn’t) or the old fashion way is to use the lip method. You should be able to suck in but not blow out (Through the hole) This just doesn’t sound right I know.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
A/C doesn't work after long drive
  • lking78
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
1
Views
133
SVT Tech Forum Jun 30, 2026
Noobz347
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
576
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
I
Engine Help requested in identifying how to resolve engine light issue
  • Ianslaney
  • Sunday at 2:23 PM
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
66
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sunday at 2:40 PM
Bullitt347
D
First post 289 rebuild question!
  • Ddyer2868
  • Nov 24, 2025
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
316
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Dec 5, 2025
rednotch
B
Engine Another no start after washing engine bay
  • bruno
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
905
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?