ALMOST THERE!!!!!!

KrazZ27

Feb 16, 2008
One week until my new motor will be ready just setting up the final parts. I'm building a street/ road racing car. I'm going with a all new all different setup. All that is left for me to get is the headers, new x pipe, cat-back exhaust, and clutch. Now i think I'm going to go with the bbk ceramic headers(not a 100% yet) as well as a bbk x pipe. Again nothing is ordered just putting a brand to a price so to say. My question is what cat back system would be the best sound/performance. I have flowmasters now not really a fan, i have ran borla exhaust years ago but since have forgotten the sound. Bottom line is I haven't spared any expense on the motor and do not want a high dollar motor sounding like low dollar crap. Also I'm going to need a new clutch something that can support hard use at around 450rwhp suggestions??Thank you for any future advice given it is very much appreciated..

• Sponsors (?)

I prefer BBK headers to others, but the last setup I did, the BBK X-pipe had to be tweaked a little bit to fit. It wasn't that big of a deal, just a heads up. I generally use SPEC clutches for that kind of power range. I run a SPEC 4+

Kurt

I had a Spec Stage III clutch on my car, holy crap talk about work out. It chattered the full 500 mile break in. Not a big fan of the heavy clutch kits. Pro Motion in Ft. Lauderdale can build you a very light clutch that can handle 500+HP.

I'm glad you've listened and will purchase ceramic headers. Either this or Stainless steel is the best way to go. I've had 6 exhaust systems and the ceramic coated long tubes never discolored.

Cat backs, this one is really how loud do you want it. I went with MAC Prochamber and MAC cat back, it's pretty loud, low end rumble. Chambered mufflers will be very loud-Flowmaster, MAC, Spintech, etc. Then there are non chambered-Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax, etc.

I had a Spec Stage III clutch on my car, holy crap talk about work out. It chattered the full 500 mile break in. Not a big fan of the heavy clutch kits. Pro Motion in Ft. Lauderdale can build you a very light clutch that can handle 500+HP.

The new SPECs actually have very little pedal effort. Did ProMotion take over old Broward Clutch. I remember Broward Clutch making some killer units way back in the day. I think it has more to do with how heavy of a launch you do then how much power you have. The + SPECs are rated to 800 ft/lb of torque, and really hold up. I had one of the original SPEC 3 clutches, and it didn't last long, and was very chattery. The new + models have a full face disk, and never chatter. They are much smoother too.

If you want a loud exhaust and less performance get a chambered muffler. If you want a quiter exhaust, and better performance, get a straight through muffler. I think it's pretty hard to beat that Ultraflow SS kit for the money. It still sells for like $370 on Jegs and Summit.

Kurt

revhead347

I'm not familiar with Broward Clutch. I know Pro Motion mismatches I think McLeod / ZOOM to create their clutch kits. I know the last time I talked with them on the phone (many years ago) they claimed the pedal would be as light as a King Kobra and rated up to like 500HP. They also offer lots of tranny choices. I absolutely hated the Spec Stage III. The pedal was way too heavy. I got a deal on the Spec, I should have purchased the Pro Motion, bonehead move on my part.

Here are ProMotion clutch kits, they rate them by HP.
http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/NEW_FORD_CLUTCH_PAGE.html

Alright i think i made my decision on exhaust. I'm going to go with bbk long tubes/X pipe with a borla cat-back. Little extra money but what I am looking for. I don't want the neighbors to hate me when I'm pulling in or working on my car in the drive way, however i do want to be able to hear the motor when i open it up. Now to decide on clutch, the guy at specialties told me to go with a cobra pressure plate with a stronger ceramic clutch plate in order to have a light clutch. Not sure how much power a cobra pressure plate could hold up too.

revhead347

I'm not familiar with Broward Clutch. I know Pro Motion mismatches I think McLeod / ZOOM to create their clutch kits. I know the last time I talked with them on the phone (many years ago) they claimed the pedal would be as light as a King Kobra and rated up to like 500HP. They also offer lots of tranny choices. I absolutely hated the Spec Stage III. The pedal was way too heavy. I got a deal on the Spec, I should have purchased the Pro Motion, bonehead move on my part.

No, that wouldn't be them. Broward wasn't in business for a short period of time in the late 90s, and then got bought out by I don't know who. Broward built all their own stuff, it wasn't a mix match of parts like that. Some of those mismatch kits actually work really well. McLeod is excellent quality, but they never answer their phone. Zoom is middle of the road stuff, and buys a good bit of stuff from China, which I don't approve of. If you are only driving on street tires, you'll probably be fine. If you intend to run drag radials or slicks, definately spend the money on a SPEC or a nice full McLeod unit. The key is to get a clutch that is performance built in America. A lot of these brands like Fidanza are sourcing here and there parts from China and sticking a performance price tag on it.

Kurt