alright after this i'll lay off the threads for a while

lostkid

Sep 13, 2006
alright i have a budget of close to 5k(little more or less)
wat would you guys put this into i wanted to do a 351w but i dont think that is obtainable with this low of a budget...i want to eventually add some boost and maybe spray if i can build my motor good enough.i just want to kow wat you guys would do

• Sponsors (?)

Well. you could build up a good bottom end (306/331/347 - $2k) then do a decent H/C/I with supporting mods ($3k). Have fun with it and do a blower later down the road. Or do H/C/I + Blower or H/C/KB now and hope the bottom end and tranny hold up untill you can afford to upgrade.

wat N/A hp can i hope for out of one of the 302 strokers(keeping everything boost ready) is there a way to build a motor where i might be able to spray 75 or 100 shot and not worry bout blowin it up

thanks for the help guys

ProKiller said:
i would do a H/C and buy blackverts kenne bell. all the supporting hardware will net you right around 5k. in a couple years you get a bottom end built.
:lol: great idea!

if your bottom end is good, buy my ported E7 heads, holley lower, bbk equal length shorty headers, 42# injectors, and kenne-bell for $3000 shipped.

or just buy the blower, lower and injectors for $2500 shipped and get some used aftermarket heads.

that leaves you $2000-$2500 for the cam and tune and other stuff.

are you the kind of guy who would want to build your own short block?

if so, for about $1500 you could get a block from summit ($500, #SES-5-60-04-200) and federal mogul 302 rebuild kit for about $500 (w/forged pistons), and put it together yourself. the cam bearings and freeze plugs are already installed. you'd have to reuse your crank and rods and they should be machined before reinstalling.

lostkid said:
wat N/A hp can i hope for out of one of the 302 strokers(keeping everything boost ready) is there a way to build a motor where i might be able to spray 75 or 100 shot and not worry bout blowin it up

thanks for the help guys
boost ready means lower compression

lower compression means less hp

you can maximize the combo with a custom cam

with a 331 or 347 and a matched cam/induction system, you can get 350 at the wheels pretty easily NA with a 9:1 compression ratio for boost later. but you are probably looking at $5000 or more for that.

how hard is it to actually do the building yourself...
thats wat i want to do just so i will know how everything goes together (i hate sending my car off and getting it worked on) but is there a manual that i could get to walk me through it

and how rough is the kb on your motor i heard that kb really wreak havoc on your motor.

if you have no experience assembling an engine and no knowledge of what is involved as far as machining, clearances, etc. i would leave it to a professional. as far as the kb being hard on the motor, it is no harder than a vortech, paxton, procharger, etc. the only difference is that with a centrifugal supercharger, the air is compressed inside the headunit and sent into the manifold, and with a kb, the compression occurs inside the manifold after the blower. a good tune and a bottom end in good shape are necessary for longevity with any power adder.

alrght my car has 153k miles on it and it has been dogged
right now it has a hollow feel to it(i'm giving it the gas but i'm not gettin hardly any power from it. do yall think i should just buy a short block from coasthigh.com try to get some afr 165cc and an edelbrock performer intake(i know that will be over my budget a little but i think i can make it)and just do bolt ons to that and maybe one day build it again for a supercharger

or should try and build the stock block(gettin a local mechanic to put it together)and get super

I like BlackVerts idea. $3k, shipped, for all that stuff is not too bad. As far as the bottom end, you could just buy a shortblock from a local rebuilder to put in there, if yours turns out to be "unhealthy". You just need a solid foundation. Shouldn't be more than $1500 for that.

Let us know what you end up doing.

alright how much hp can i expect to see with that stuff from blackvert and would a set of gt40p heads and an explorer intake put any gains on that cause my freind said he thought he say an explorer at a local savage lot that might be a late 1997or 1998

lostkid said:
alright how much hp can i expect to see with that stuff from blackvert and would a set of gt40p heads and an explorer intake put any gains on that cause my freind said he thought he say an explorer at a local savage lot that might be a late 1997or 1998
the kb takes a stock lower, the explorer lower has different bolt pattern. plus, the holley lower most likely flows better than an explorer lower. as to the heads, mine were ported by "thumper" http://www.thumperoforangepark.com and they are supposed to flow better than gt-40s

with a kb at 10# boost you'd probably make somewhere around 350 at the wheels

it bolts directly onto the lower intake, couldn't be simpler.

kb-01.jpg

kb-02.jpg

kb-03.jpg

Attachments

• kb-01.jpg
    kb-01.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 37
  • kb-02.jpg
    kb-02.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 49
  • kb-03.jpg
    kb-03.jpg