alt overcharge fried battery? help!!

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
I'm still battling my alternator overcharging issues and I'm curious if the alt over charging the battery could fry the battery and cause it to not hold a charge as well i.e. starting issues like if the battery were dead. im really stumped and can use all the help i can get.
thanks in advance

J

• Sponsors (?)

Usually overcharging results in a battery that boils the electrolyte out and leaves you with exposed plates. Supposedly when air hits the plates, the exposed parts don't work as a battery after the exposure. This results in a battery with reduced capacity to start the car and keep the alternator working properly. Proper charge voltage is 13.8-14.2 volts at 72 degrees measured at the battery terminals. Cold days will cause the alternator to get up past 14.5 volts and not harm things.

so right now my car feels like its having charging issues ( battery not holding a charge) but the alt is working overtime ( overcharging) what would be the best way to go about this? take the alt and battery both down and have them tested?

Most of the major auto parts stores like AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts will test your charging system for free in the car. That's what I would do, since removing stuff to have it tested is a lot of extra work.

i yanked the alt an battery out and had them tested. Alt checked out, battery was good but they said it wasnt charging very well so they gave me a new one. so far it seems to be working, although my voltage is still a bit high. anything else i can check other than the voltage reg?

If voltage seems high, have you checked actual output? Compare the reading at the charge stud (on the alt) vs the solenoid's battery lug.

Check the output stud vs the sense-circuit voltage. If the latter reads a good bit lower than voltage at the solenoid, this can cause the alt to send out a bit of extra juice.