Alt. wire to the starter solenoid is extremely hot.

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
The green wire that attaches to the starter solenoid on my car I found today, is extremely hot. Like to hot to touch. What does this mean, because this cant be right. I have a 3g alternator, Ive had one for about 5 years now. Does it sound like a ground issue, or maybe the voltage regulator is shot? Every other wire on the starter solenoid is fine just this alternator wire. Where should I start? Cars a 91 with old style starter and fender mounted solenoid.

• Sponsors (?)

I take it yout didn't upgrade the charging wire from the alternator?

The two alt wires really can't support the max current the 3G can output. Really need to add a 2 awg wire and disconnect the two power wires from the alt and leave them connected to the starter solenoid

I know what your talking about but im kind of confused. So the 2 black with orange stripe wires i have at the back of the alternator should be removed and instead I should run a 2 guage straight from the Alt to the Solenoid?

Remove them from the alt power stud, take them up and tape them into the harness nice and safe. You must leave them connected tp the starter solenoid since the voltage regulator gets fed from them.

Then, run a 2nd wire from alt power stud to starter solenoid. You'll want a slow-blow fuse rated slightly under the wires max capacity. Gonna look up what that is

Edit: here ya go. Prob need a 125a slow blow fuse

62425d1235669252-wire-gauge-ampacity-table-wiringdiagram.jpg