Alternator Needed For 351 W Swap Into 90 -93 Mustang?

chgovfk

15 Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
AZ
I'm currently building a 1971 351w for swap into a future 90-93 mustang - it's carbureted - I did have a 93 4cyl coupe on a body cart - but then sold it due to moving - and after very careful thought, I wanted to get a decent 5.0 - so no rear end swap and all the other conversion needs are almost all eliminated -

I have to run an electric fuel pump - electric fan - A/C - plus all the other power goodies - I've read through a lot of the threads about the 3g 130 AMP unit - but my plan is to keep it stock looking (plus I would have to switch to a 1971 type pulley on a 3G?) - old school PS reservoir and A/C compressor -

So I don't know if I can get a 1971 unit w/120 AMPs to wire up to 1990-93 mustang - or do I get 93 unit with more AMPs and see if it fits in the 1971 brackets - I wanted to use all the 1971 brackets - but the wiring - which is the my 'nightmare' for this project is what I'm sort of afraid of - may even farm it out - so any help or tips would be great - thanks:)
0614141303.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm currently building a 1971 351w for swap into a future 90-93 mustang - it's carbureted - I did have a 93 4cyl coupe on a body cart - but then sold it due to moving - and after very careful thought, I wanted to get a decent 5.0 - so no rear end swap and all the other conversion needs are almost all eliminated -

I have to run an electric fuel pump - electric fan - A/C - plus all the other power goodies - I've read through a lot of the threads about the 3g 130 AMP unit - but my plan is to keep it stock looking (plus I would have to switch to a 1971 type pulley on a 3G?) - old school PS reservoir and A/C compressor -

So I don't know if I can get a 1971 unit w/120 AMPs to wire up to 1990-93 mustang - or do I get 93 unit with more AMPs and see if it fits in the 1971 brackets - I wanted to use all the 1971 brackets - but the wiring - which is the my 'nightmare' for this project is what I'm sort of afraid of - may even farm it out - so any help or tips would be great - thanks:)
0614141303.jpg

3G installation instructions:
See http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/3g-alternator-install-a-how-to.646825/#post-6673702

Alternator wiring.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If you have a 3G alternator, the white/ yellow wire is critical to proper operation. It is the voltage sense and regulator power lead that picks up the difference in voltage at the alternator output stud and the connection point at the starter solenoid. If you cheat and run it directly to the alternator output, it sees the voltage at the alternator output stud. It does not see the voltage at the starter solenoid connection point where it feeds power to everything else. You may have a voltage drop in the wiring between the alternator output stud and the connection to the starter solenoid. Thus you may have low voltage or less than the standard regulated voltage at the starter solenoid connection point. This makes for low voltage throughout the rest of the car: everything operates at less than full efficiency.

Starter solenoid wiring 86-91 model cars.

Connect the fused 4 gauge wire to the alternator and the battery side of the starter solenoid.
attachment.php

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Model cars.
attachment.php

Reactions: 1 users