alternator not putting out a charge even though its good

zachpierce

Jan 3, 2010
this is a 1990 lx 5.0 sorry its under the wrong stangs. ok i have checked it all around the wire from the alternator. i decided to check the wire that goes to the alternator to the selniod(black with orange strip) at both spots while i had it off the selniod and both spots (at the end of the wire and the begaining of the wire from the alternator did not put out a reading. while it was hooked up to the selniod it read the same as the battry did which was 11.7 so i know the wire is good. what could it be beside the new alternator? autozone says its good. hmmm its to late to take it back again. please help. did i maybe, have a wire ran somewhere wrong? i had to swap the dash and main hardness durning the engine swap. and where and what is the diode?

ok i change the big wire on the battert to the selniod today. that was my first guess. i have a question would my alternator stop putting out a charge all together if i unhook my evg from the throttle body? i did so today as i was putting the new alternator on. i put a block plate on and just left the plus un done so i could get ride of all that emmision stuff. i decided to pull the wire that goes to the battery from the alternator and check it with my voltage meter while the car was running and its not putting out any volts. but reads what the battery does while running when its hooked up to the selniod. which is 11.7 are lower. please help if you can. im so ready to drive this car. been working on it for 3 months straight with the swap i did.

its a new aternator and i went and had it checked tonight at autozone. they say its good but even after i re-hooked up the evg on the thottle body it still is not putting out a charge. this bs is killing me. i have worked so hard on the whole swap. the old alternator was killed by an elec. fan i put on the car. so of course i have taken it back off. they checked that alternator and it was bad thats why i have the new 1 now. it has to be a wire some where not letting the alternator give off a charge. i know its grounded right and my battery is good. i know this cuz of all the test i did with the voltage tester. what could it be?

fromer owner of 1968 mustang, own 1990 lx 5.0,1989 lx, & a 1995 v6 . the one im swapping is the 1989 it has trick flow intake, mac shorty pipes, h-pipe, flowmasters, pro 5.0 shifter, t-5(5yrs. old), all msd ing. mds spark plug wires 8.5, no smog, elec. fan, rebuit engine, 3.73 gears, underdrive pulleys.

• Sponsors (?)

going back in time here a bit. I don't remember the older cars too well, but it sounds almost like a voltage regulator issue to me. If the alt is good that is. The little wire that goes to the solenoid actually tells the alt to put out a charge when the solenoid sees ignition on.

I would verify your solenoid is wired correctly, and if you are 100% sure it is, look into the possibility that your solenoid is bad.

A good way to test is start the car with a meter on the battery. Send the small wire from the alternator to the + pos terminal on the battery or even to the hot side of the solenoid with the car running. See if the voltage goes up, that will tell you the alt is charging at that point, and that you have a mis-wired or bad solenoid.

Hope it works out for ya.