alternator upgrade and wiring question

mamatried

Sep 28, 2004
Kentucky
I'm going to be doing the Mark viii fan upgrade but first wanted to get my electrical system in order first. i'm thinking about going with the sn95 130 amp alternator...but i hear there is a wiring harness that i will need. is all i need the pigtail harness? if so...how do i know what wires to slice together. hopefully someone on here has done what i am talking about and can help me out...any info would be awesome!

• Sponsors (?)

The factory plug to the regulator will plug right into the 3g alternator. The other rectangular plug will have two black/orange wires going to it which will not be used (these are hot wires so make sure they are not exposed.), and a smaller wire I forgot what color that will need to be used. You just put a small female connector on the wire and it will plug into the stator plug which is the small male prong coming out the side of the 3g. You will also need to run a 2ga or bigger power wire from the starter solenoid to the alternator, and should upgrade the size of your engine ground wire to at least 2ga. You have to install a high amp inline fuse on the power wire as well, it'll need to be at least 125amp fuse. They don't really sell a "harness", if you do buy a wiring kit it will be extremely over priced.

I dont know why I typed that all out, there are sticky's with diagrams on how to do this. I must be too bored.

It sounds like Nick has you covered. :nice:

As far as other possible obstacles, you'll probably need to grind a small amount of the bracket too. A mini hacksaw is all that's needed [in a pinch].

thanks for the help fellas. sorry but i must have overlooked the sticky. i did a search on it but for some reason i didn't see it. i'm having some recent cooling problems after installing my afco radiator...i think my problem is more than a fan but this is something i've wanted to do for a while now.

i noticed that my upper radiator hose is getting pretty hot but the lower is still cool. could this be due to the thermostat sticking or even my water pump starting to fail?

The search function has its shortcomings. Sometimes it can't even find Stangnet....

Water pump as a possible cause of overheating: the primary failure mode for water pumps is leakage from the weep holes in the pump shaft housing. I personally have never seen the impeller fail or come loose from the shaft.

The upper hose picks up the hot water from the cylinder heads, and the lower hose returns the cooled water to the water pump. A thermostat can cause problems, the simplest thing is to remove it and toss it into a pot of boiling water. It should open enough to see 1/8" or greater light all around the inner rim of the thermostat.