Aluminum radiator with aluminum shroud install question

Woody3882

5 Year Member
Jun 19, 2018
Bradenton Fl 34212
I have a 65 coupe with original 289. I installed an aluminum 2 row radiator and a Spal 16" fan. I would like to buy or make an aluminum shroud to hold the fan, but it appears that there is only about 3/8" between the electric fan and the water pump pulley. Has anyone tried and accomplished this. If so is there a trick or tip to getting the shroud and fan to fit.
AND has anyone tried two smaller fans on the 289 with an aluminum shroud. The reason I ask is that by using the two fans I might be able to space them apart which might give me the clearance I need to the water pump pulley bolts. I have no problem in buying two smaller fans and a shroud if it will work with good water temps.
I would appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks
[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

Im running a 3 row aluminum with a 14 inch electric fan
I have removed the the mechanical fan and spacer, then used shorter bolt to the water pump pulley
Then build a shroud + mounting brackets for the electric fan and ive got about 3-5 centimeters to the waterpump
I'll be out in the shop tomorrow and try to take a picture of the setup if you want?

The car is a 69 with a 351w, not sure if theres a difference with the length of the engine/radiator setup for a 65

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply, I believe the 67 up have a different radiator and mounting configuration. The 65-66 have a smaller area between the radiator and the fan pulley to work with. I was hoping someone with a 65 has done the electric fan and the shroud install to enlighten me
Yes I would really like to see pics of your install
I greatly appreciate your reply and time
[email protected]

I have a '66 but I put a '67 BB radiator in mine. 2000 Contour/Cougar dual fans fit that one great. I cut the opening in the core support to use the larger radiator though. If you kept the original width then they will be too wide. A single '93 Taurus fan may be able to be cut down to fit. They are awesome fans. Picture shows my installation. I have a 5.0 with Explorer accessories so I have more room but you can get an idea of how compact the Contour fans are. Coupled with a BMW temperature switch and Volvo relay you can have a really nice 2-speed fan setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    619.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0560sc.jpg
    IMG_0560sc.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 67