Roush an introduction and my Fox Saleen project

hi. My name is Sean, I registered for this site last year sometime and as I am just now starting my project I thought I would post-up an intro and some details and pics of my project.

Three years ago I bought from a friend here in Sacramento a 1987 Saleen 085 with 49K orignal miles. At the time, I was just looking for a Fox body for a donor car to build a factory five Cobra out of. My friend for the 5 years that I knew him had this saleen in his garage and it NEVER moved. I told him that if he ever wanted to sell it...Well I must have caught him on the right day and his wife wanted it gone. I dragged it onto my car trailer and brought it home and threw a tarp on it. I had two other projects (well three) going at the time. I have a Jeep Rock Crawler, a old chevy (can I say that on this site) pickup that I cut my teeth on building the engine on.

Back to the Saleen. There was one small problem. It seems that some rats took up residency in the car. They chewed thru the flofit seats and ***** and p*issed everywhere inside. Made a cute little nest inside of the spare tire. Basically if it was cloth inside the car, it's now at the dump after working with a respirator on one of the nastiest jobs ever. I know I will never replace the interior to stock as there is no fabric to be found to match stock, so I will just make the car my-own.

Well, it seems the rats weren't content with the just the interior. My buddy had the intake off the car and the rats made themselves a nice little home in the intake runners of the heads. so there was again rat ***** and P*ss caked on the valves in two of the cylinders. But they are smart little bastards. They found that two of the cylinders had the intake valve just slightly opened, making a little septic drain for the aforementioned ***** and p*ss to drain to the top of the piston. One side was superficial, but the other I am pretty sure hosed the wall of the cylinder and maybe the top ring. I am going to soak the whole she-bang in ATF and see what I get.

If the cylinder/ring is hosed, i might just have the excuse to put a 347 stroker short block in there. I need to break this *****-clog up and vacuum it out and start the soaking. Maybe it's just superficial, but I am thinking I am screwed. I just LOOOOOVE these projects. Good news is that I am into this car for very, very, little so $2K for a short block won't be unreasonable.

It's a pretty cool little car in otherwise good shape. PO had AL GT40 heads, 1.72 rockers, vortech s/c, cut/welded intake, 65MM throttle body, suspension, brakes, exhaust, stereo, et al. As long as I don't have to swap the engine, I should have this done by spring.

I will post up progress if folks are interested. Also, I am looking for a reputable source for a 347 short block if, indeed, that is necessary.

SeanP

• Sponsors (?)

and the pics

as it sat under a tarp
saleen1copy.jpg

saleen4.jpg

crap piled high in the interior
saleen2.jpg

interior gutted
saleen5.jpg

engine as I received it 3 years ago
saleen3.jpg

the bad cylinder of caked on rat crap/piss

saleen6.jpg

Attachments

• saleen1copy.jpg
    saleen1copy.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 106
  • saleen4.jpg
    saleen4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 78
  • saleen2.jpg
    saleen2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 90
  • saleen5.jpg
    saleen5.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 96
  • saleen3.jpg
    saleen3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 92
  • saleen6.jpg
    saleen6.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 97
Wow, nice find. Your car is not in that bad of shape. After reading your write up, I thought the car was toast. You have a lot of nice options. The Stern wheels, supercharger, interior door panels are still good. Get with Foxbody19 and he can help you get the seats recovered. Good luck!

Nice find. The engine should come apart. That one cylinder alone needs to be cleaned and honed or you'll toast the rings which are probably shot anyway. You have two options on the engine, rebuild or do the stroker motor. As for the interior. I had to redo mine because it was ruined as well. There is material that is damn close if you take a sample to a good upholstery shop. I did and you can look at my interior and see what I'm talking about. Good luck with the work.

Nice find. The engine should come apart. That one cylinder alone needs to be cleaned and honed or you'll toast the rings which are probably shot anyway. You have two options on the engine, rebuild or do the stroker motor. As for the interior. I had to redo mine because it was ruined as well. There is material that is damn close if you take a sample to a good upholstery shop. I did and you can look at my interior and see what I'm talking about. Good luck with the work.

thanks for the welcome, guys. I am going to drop the oil pan and unbolt that connecting rod/piston and remove it to see what the rings look like. It's sad that the engine only has 49K miles on it and all the other cylinders still have very pronounced factory cross-hatching on it.

All my experience is with SBC engines and jeep I6. I am totally newbie to fords. If any body has links to good engine builders, recommendations for configurations or general knowledge links on advice on building a new short block, I am all ears. I am interested in still being able to idle and drive on the street with 91 octane with the supercharger at 6PSI.

Foxbodysaleen19, I found your site three years ago thru a google search when I first got the car. Your car is amazing in its detail and inspirational for what I want to do. I am not sure I have the budget to get the interior details up to spec, but it's going to be a fun process.

SeanP

Sean,

Like the other said she does not look that bad. Those Speedline wheels if they are in good shape are worth $2 large all by themselves. You also have a grey Momo SSC steering wheel or at least it looks like it. Other than the motor issues I bet she will be a relatively good project.

Congrats and welcome back to the site.

Oh yea, that sure is a shi* load of wiring. did the guy have a monster stereo in there?

If you are going to drop the pan, might as well freshen up the engine, since you can't get the pan off with the engine in the car.
At that point you may just want to consider using the cobra shortblock (factory 5.0 shortblock) which is around $1200, or the hypertectic 347 shortblock which is $2200.

If you're going to keep the blower I definitely would not use hypertectic pistons. They will not last very long under anykind of real boost. Use forged pistons only for a blower setup and you won't have any issues.

that's my understanding too. oh believe me, if this engine comes out of the car, a world of opportunities will present themselves ($$$ :) )

I am still running a stock cam with the vortech blower and that will be the first to go. Right now I am praying that I can take some emory cloth and get the superficial stuff out of the cyl and really see what the hone looks like. If it's not pitted, I will soak the pistons with a little ATF and slowly crank the motor over and spend some time seeing whats in there. If all looks good I am just going to run it. I am only about 12 bolts away from pulling the whole engine out, but I have a huge jeep project with lots of metal fab. and a boat load of "honey do's" to get to. I am sure you married guys know what I mean.

made some more progess today. There were two cylinders that had a build up in them, one was pretty bad. Tried soaking them down with atf and working at the crud with a plasting picnic knife (i know, pretty high tech, but I didn;t want to scrape the cylinder walls). It didn't take too long to come to the decision that the engine needed to come out for an inspection and to hone the cyl's properly. I was amazed how quickly it went. I took a LOT of digi pics of everything and labelled it all into little ziplocks. The blower bracket was a bit complicated and I found one part that I have no idea where it goes (I'll figure it out).

Learned a bit more about the car. There are subframe connectors on it already. 4 link and panhard have been updated in the rear. Adjustable Koni suspension. 255 LPH in-tank pump, 24# injectors. The injectors I am hoping are well matched for the 7-8 PSI (PO had a smaller pulley on put on the vortech a-trim). I am still newbie at figuring out how the MAF/Fuel/Computer all work together. Any links that folks can post to read up on this would be great.

Here's what the end of the day looked like

View attachment 399299

here is the offending cylinder. Hope a bottle hone fixes it up

View attachment 399301

and here's the engine. Thinking of putting a blower specific cam and springs in there.
saleenengine.jpg

Attachments

• saleenengine.jpg
    saleenengine.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 100