...and for the next problem!

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
2,488
0
46
Southern California
Geez, what next? During the last few outings, it was getting harder to get the toploader into first gear, okay, new clutch about 3 months ago (1500 miles). Maybe a clutch adjustment is due, so crawled under car and tightened up the clutch free play a little, no dice. When the car warms up, it's a big pain to get into any gear after stopping. It does shift okay once I get the car moving though. The stick does move through the gears okay with the engine off??????????? Any educated guesses?
 
What OIL is in it, maybe to thick if it feels stiff or to thin if it fells loose,
Does it grind when shifting, if so maybe the sincronizers are going out, I think I spelled that right) first check the oil. Another thought, did it start to shift hard before or after you replaced the clutch.
 
Hey just had another thought fly buy, did you install the right pilot bushing.
When you put the trany in I hope you didnt force it in with bolts. could be that the input shaft is a little snug in the bushing. Try this. when stoping the car and you push the clutch in does it fell like the car still wants to move? :rolleyes:
 
TOM B said:
Hey just had another thought fly buy, did you install the right pilot bushing.
When you put the trany in I hope you didnt force it in with bolts. could be that the input shaft is a little snug in the bushing. Try this. when stoping the car and you push the clutch in does it fell like the car still wants to move? :rolleyes:

I'm going to check the gear lube tomorrow. The tranny was rebuilt last year when it got stuck in 2nd gear. Had a new clutch installed at the same time. That clutch was replaced 3 months ago along with the starter when the starter's teeth fragged and the throw out bearing was demolished, don't know which caused the problem. It's been getting harder to shift into any gear AFTER the engine warms up. The clutch does disengage the engine, no problems there. I hope it's just the gear lube. Thanks.
 
Another easy "fix". . . .check your linkages for proper alignment! In neutral you should be able to slide a 1/4 inch dowel (Good size phillips screwdriver) through the three holes in your linkage. If you can't, then that's your problem!!

If they won't line up. . .loosen the bolts, line everything up, (so you can slip the "dowel/pin/screwdriver" all the way through each of the linkages, then tighten everything up! Presto. . . you're back in business!

I bought a rust free 65 K-code fastback from a guy because the car had a "bad transmission and wouldn't move. Towed it down the street, fixed the linkage, and drove it home!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!

Good luck!