Anger + dead battery + push start and full throttle = Uh oh..

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Here's a lesson to all young budding mechanics out there.....don't ever work on your car if you're angry, no matter what the circumstances. When your car pisses you off, just walk away and come back.

In my case, the POS left me stranded with my gf and my mom standing there waiting for me to fix it, so i couldn't just walk away. To make the story shorter, my battery crapped out so i push started it and by that time i was pleeeenty pissed off and wasn't thinking about my lack of a rev limiter and mashed the gas when it fired over...by the time i glanced at the tach i was pushing 7500rpm! :eek:

No idea how it didn't split in half, but it's smokin and tickin and it's really pissed off and still won't turn over (dead battery). Moral of the story, don't let your ride defeat you. If you lose your cool like i do sometimes, you'll end up doing more damage than you're trying to fix and then feel like a jackass when you calm down.

:bang: on me. Also, remember that two 100w fog lamps w/head lights, an aftermarket ignition, electric fan and stereo is probably more than a stock alternator will deal with. :rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

Last time my car did that to me I stepped out, grabbed my belongings, gave it the bird and walked off. Walked to Taco Bell and ate a delicious burrito supreme and sucked down a soda then walked back noticing the bitch was still sitting there so I did what I had to do.

I love my 5.0. :hail2:

i hear ya man, when it comes to my car i can really loose it. wrenches have been thrown (dented the garage door once) i've punch the walls and split my hand open, i've kicked the car and chipped the paint and borke the side marker light.

now i have finally learned that when things arn't going good i need to walk away

moral: $50 bucks for a used punching bag can be useful at times? and the best part is, it doesn't have paint to chip?

im stretching here i know... i understand... i get that frustration when i floor it, and 3 seconds later my aod, asks me if i wanted it to down shift yet? all in a labor of love, and hate.
-a

Ha that has happent to me too. I got pissed off at my carb because it was going to crap on me. Brand new too Holley so I hit it with a rubber mallet a few times and accidently hit a vacuum line off. Yea when I started it I put it in gear a gave it some gas then next thing I now it was full throttle. Motor dead stretched a rod bolt some how and started to nock bad

Adams91LX said:
moral: $50 bucks for a used punching bag can be useful at times? and the best part is, it doesn't have paint to chip?

im stretching here i know... i understand... i get that frustration when i floor it, and 3 seconds later my aod, asks me if i wanted it to down shift yet? all in a labor of love, and hate.
-a

nonono that what you brothers are for :p

Holy ****, 7500 rpm! Thats beyond the point where you hear an exhaust note, the whole engine just becomes a droning mass ready to fly apart.

Hope the damage isn't too bad, some valvetrain damage at most I hope.

My buddy just got exhaust on his 85 F-150 with a 351 and he started it up cold and revved it, and then the throttle stuck WIDE OPEN, and he had to take the time to pop the hood and unstick it... I don't know how that motor survived that. It was loud as hell too

spiff said:
Holy ****, 7500 rpm! Thats beyond the point where you hear an exhaust note, the whole engine just becomes a droning mass ready to fly apart.

Hope the damage isn't too bad, some valvetrain damage at most I hope.

My buddy just got exhaust on his 85 F-150 with a 351 and he started it up cold and revved it, and then the throttle stuck WIDE OPEN, and he had to take the time to pop the hood and unstick it... I don't know how that motor survived that. It was loud as hell too

Yeah i know, i couldn't believe it. When i was running the stock Duraspark ignition, the rev limiter is something like 6250, and back when i got the car it ran so good that i could bounce it off the limiter and it wouldn't flinch. It sucks and i'm kinda pissed at myself but this engine has a rediculous amount of miles on it (north of 250k) so i'm in the market for something new anyways.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Yeah i know, i couldn't believe it. When i was running the stock Duraspark ignition, the rev limiter is something like 6250, and back when i got the car it ran so good that i could bounce it off the limiter and it wouldn't flinch. It sucks and i'm kinda pissed at myself but this engine has a rediculous amount of miles on it (north of 250k) so i'm in the market for something new anyways.

Did you investigate into the noise further? Holy, that is a lot of miles, and thats pretty good for that motor because it runs, sounds and looks great from your videos for how many KM that are on it.

spiff said:
Did you investigate into the noise further? Holy, that is a lot of miles, and thats pretty good for that motor because it runs, sounds and looks great from your videos for how many KM that are on it.

Actually i haven't lifted the hood...i drove it home and parked it and i'm a little discusted still. What really makes me sick is that i used to have a spare 302 HO but i sold it because it was at my buddy's taking up space :bang:

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Actually i haven't lifted the hood...i drove it home and parked it and i'm a little discusted still. What really makes me sick is that i used to have a spare 302 HO but i sold it because it was at my buddy's taking up space :bang:

Argh, I know the feeling! I actually have the chance to get a spare motor out of a 85 but I don't know what kind of shape its in. My motor right now runs like a dream but it has 305000KM on it (not even 200000 miles) It huffs oil a bit when I stomp on it... I dunno if its my valve seals, or the pcv, or hopefully not the rings... hmm

spiff said:
Argh, I know the feeling! I actually have the chance to get a spare motor out of a 85 but I don't know what kind of shape its in. My motor right now runs like a dream but it has 305000KM on it (not even 200000 miles) It huffs oil a bit when I stomp on it... I dunno if its my valve seals, or the pcv, or hopefully not the rings... hmm

A lot of people shoot right for the rings but i think on a high mileage stock engine that the valve guides are just as likely to wear out and leak oil into the cylinders causing smoke and oil consumption. I've opened up high mileage engines that smoke and found that the cylinders still had cross hatch in them and the rings were in good shape.

I'm going to look for both a 302 and a 351W and depending on what i can get for how much will decide what i run next. I really wanna try a 351W again.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Yeah, i got a Malory Unilite and as far as i know there's no rev limiter or if there is it's REALLY high lol.
i have the same style of distributor and i found out that they have to have a volt regulator and a little black box attached to them. when i had to buy the new module led thing inside the distributor they told me this. and the one i bought shuts down at like 5500 rpm so no chance of over revv and it was like 50 bucks instead of the 100 for the original one. when i died i was lucky since i was warming it up in the garage when it quit on me.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
A lot of people shoot right for the rings but i think on a high mileage stock engine that the valve guides are just as likely to wear out and leak oil into the cylinders causing smoke and oil consumption. I've opened up high mileage engines that smoke and found that the cylinders still had cross hatch in them and the rings were in good shape.

I'm going to look for both a 302 and a 351W and depending on what i can get for how much will decide what i run next. I really wanna try a 351W again.

Yeah I think you're right, Might as well start at the top and replace the seals and see what that does. I also think that its the valve guides because its very light even with an o/r H, Plus the fact that the car doesn't drink oil, as in I don't have to top it up on a weekly basis or every couple hundred miles or so.

I think you should get your hands on a 351, that'd be pretty cool in your car, plus you could abuse it even more! haha

yeah< i'm guilty for having a short temper......I was working on the car once and just got alittle too angry and had good friend over there and I guess my mind went blank and I hit the fender with a hammer.....granted that was when my old mustang was a daily driver and I HAD to have it running that day....now I just walk away when I fell the "urge".

68torinogt said:
i have the same style of distributor and i found out that they have to have a volt regulator and a little black box attached to them. when i had to buy the new module led thing inside the distributor they told me this. and the one i bought shuts down at like 5500 rpm so no chance of over revv and it was like 50 bucks instead of the 100 for the original one. when i died i was lucky since i was warming it up in the garage when it quit on me.

The disy is still ok, i just ran my battery down because i'm overworking my alt. I'm running a balast resister but i didn't think that had anything to do with rev limits. I got the Unilite in a trade and it's a billion times better than the Duraspark so i'm running it. I'd really rather have a stock distributor and MSD ignition but that wasn't in the cards.