Annoying whine in speakers with engine rpm

Danny2v

Jun 24, 2019
California
Hey everyone, I've had a touchscreen head unit installed for a while and I have yet to figure out why I get a very annoying whine in my speakers that varies with engine rpm. Of the volume is set to 0, it's gone, the second it's at 1, it's audible. I've heard it could be a ground so I cut the ground wire on the head unit and grounded it straight to the frame of the car with no help. One thing I think I've read is it's possible it might be the alternator as I do know my alternator isnt working the best as the diode drains battery if the car sits for over 5 or so days. Could it possibly be that? Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

IMO it could be an alternator issue. Excessive AC ripple is well known to cause electrical interference. Don't cut corners here.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

Double check that all car frame and radiator core support ground spots are clean, bright, shinny, and tight. Double check that the left hand motor mount to frame rail grounding strap is in place.

Also check the ignition capacitors

Last edited:
IMO it could be an alternator issue. Excessive AC ripple is well known to cause electrical interference. Don't cut corners here.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

Double check that all car frame and radiator core support ground spots are clean, bright, shinny, and tight. Double check that the left hand motor mount to frame rail grounding strap is in place.

Also check the ignition capacitors
Hmm now that I think of it, the radiator ground spot is far from shinny, I know the engine ground strap is perfect as I replaced that with brand new 4 gauge wire and crimps when I did my engine rebuild. Might give cleaning that grind a try though

I'm a big believer in Occam's Razor. I honestly think that the best use of your time is towards the known alternator problem.

Followed by the ignition capacitors.

Don't get me wrong. I still feel good grounds are important but for YOU the alternator should be at the top of the list.

Did you read all of the information already provided previously in the "Howto perform charging system voltage drop test"? There;s information about rebuilding your own alternator verses replacing and my experience with the process. Hint. IMO it's not for everyone.

OBTW, IF it's a bad diode the linked rebuild kit will not fix your problem. Why? Because it does not include replacement diodes.

Some of the kits I have tried do include new diodes.