Engine Another 393 stroker thread

GoldenGrande

Jun 2, 2019
Michigan
Hey everyone, just joined stangnet, been with VMF but it seems like you guys get more traffic here.

I’m considering upgrading my stock 351w to a 393 stroker. I’ve read all kinds of threads and so many mixed opinions. “Just spend the extra few bucks for a 408 bc you need some $$ to build a strong 393 - you can totally do a budget 393 - stock Windsor rods suck - football rods actually work great”. Lots of opinions out there.

This car will never see nitrous or supercharger, won’t even see the track. I don’t even want to spend the money on EFI. If I hit 6000-6500 rpm I committed a crime and I’m running from the police. I just want enough so my wife’s 2016 Explorer can’t keep up with me off the line.

I have a 1970 Grande, stock 351w (D2AE block), backed up to an AOD and 3.55 rears. I don’t need big power so I don’t need to spend big money. I’m hoping to do a Scat cast steel crank, stock football rods, and if I can’t find decent used 302 pistons I’ll just buy hypers. I know 6.2 rods reduce cylinder wear but I’m not running this motor hard. AFR 185s, keep my performer intake, looking at a Comp Cams xr264rf hyd roller. Again, not high revving for speed just a little extra goose at the green light.

Thoughts on the build? Any details I missed that would help?

• Sponsors (?)