Another balancer bites the dust.

Zero_chance

Founding Member
May 29, 2001
Maricopa, AZ
SO finally had a chance to replace the old balancer. About time...
dsc00022lh3.jpg

dsc00023he8.jpg

What, you cant link photos anymore???

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you for posting the pictures!

I've heard about this dilemma for so long about our cars, but never really knew what to look for when people described the inner rubber coming out.

My car is low mileage (56k) so things still seem pretty good down there. At least when it comes I know what I'll be seeing.

That's an extreme case of rubber sticking out. Usually, it's just sticking out a fraction of an inch, but the outer ring has spun on the inner, so you don't have much indication that it's actually bad. Any amount of rubber sticking out means it is though. There shouldn't be any at all.

Another thing about these hb's is ... they can just go bad over time :(

Sure ... if you have more power or wind it a bit higher it makes it all the more
stressful on it ... but ... A little stocker Stang with no mods what so ever ............

It can be susceptible to the weak hb just like a modded Stang

Grady

i replaced mine at like 115 or 120,000 i cant quite remember. my car now has a vibration at idle up to about 1500 rpms. i think the new one is going out too. i got it from napa. the rubber isnt comiing out or anything but it is vibrating.

My tally on my vehicles:

95 GT: 3 balancers replaced (Then I bought a Romac :D)
93 GT: 1 balancer replaced
94 Bronco: 1 balancer replaced

The counterweight on the Bronco actually slid forward and hit the crank pulley, otherwise it would have fallen off! When I pull the crank pulley off, I just took the counterweight off with no effort whatsoever.

Yeah Reddys right, Im just referring to now being in with the bad balancer crowd. And as Im sure you can tell, this thing was shot. Starting it up was painful for me the day I brought it to my shop to actually replace it. I only used one from an 89 in the meantime because I wont be doing any major work anytime soon and it doesnt see any high revs with the AODE. Are the 94 - 95 ones that bad or what? Seems to be more of a problem with our cars than the Foxs, but I admit I havent been on the Fox boards since I sold my 88.