• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Another cam thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter BooWFO
  • Start date Start date Jul 27, 2005

BooWFO

New Member
May 10, 2005
991
0
0
Louisville, KY
Jul 27, 2005
#1
  • Jul 27, 2005
  • #1
Ok I'm looking at cams and after hearing the horror stories of valve springs don't wanna fool with them. I was thinking VT stg 1's but I want to go FI in the future. But after hearing about the comp 270's and looking at their specs I really like them. So my question is will 270's work with stock valve springs? Anybody have them any issues? Or should I just go with the vt stage 1's?

Mods so far
K&N removed silencer, c&L inlet pipe, p&P upper plenum, prochamber, borla catback, nx wetkit.

Forgot car is mostly just a street car with limited 1/8th mile track time. Looking to build a good all around car.
 

03ghoststang

Well-Known Member
Jul 16, 2005
1,930
1
57
Los Angeles, California
Jul 27, 2005
#2
  • Jul 27, 2005
  • #2
if you go with the 270's you will have to replace the springs from what i read in som of these threads the 270's are like the vt stg 2 blower cams and they on ly give you 10hp more than vt stg 1's but on the stg 2 you lose alot of bottom end power and stg1's retain the stock bottom power end but around 3000-3500 rpm they really start to come alive there's a thread that might help you the title is instaling vt stg1 cams here is the link but you can find it here there is a graph and good info.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=566683
 

BooWFO

New Member
May 10, 2005
991
0
0
Louisville, KY
Jul 27, 2005
#3
  • Jul 27, 2005
  • #3
Yeah I had read that actually I've been reading all the cam post..... I figured out the search function I get a cookie right?
 
R

Rocketman

New Member
Apr 20, 2004
730
0
0
SoCal
Jul 27, 2005
#4
  • Jul 27, 2005
  • #4
Best rule of thumb to go by is if the cam your installing has more than .550 gross lift, you need to change the valve springs.
 

BooWFO

New Member
May 10, 2005
991
0
0
Louisville, KY
Jul 27, 2005
#5
  • Jul 27, 2005
  • #5
Thanks Rocketman I just didn't know how weak this stocker's are. Guess it'll be vt stg 1's this winter.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Engine 4.6 Running rough at half throttle
  • jake411
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
194
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 4, 2026
jake411
J
Progress Thread Progress Thread- From6to8's 95 GT/Saleen Supercharged 331 install
  • from6to8
  • Mar 22, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Monday at 5:48 PM
from6to8
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
J
For Sale 2003 mustang GT
  • jimted79
  • Mar 22, 2025
  • SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04)
Replies
0
Views
644
SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) Mar 22, 2025
jimted79
J
A
Fox Planning on building my foxbody and was wondering if I can get any tips or anything to watch out for!
  • Angelq1028
  • Oct 31, 2024
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3 4
Replies
76
Views
5K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 29, 2025
Robman8028
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?