Electrical Another Cruise Control Issue

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
My cruise stopped working properly. You can feel the pedal jump a bit when you try to set it. What makes this a little different is there is a black piece (that I figure is the end of the cruise cable) that moves in and out of the throttle bracket. Is it supposed to clip in or screw into the bracket? Or is it supposed to move separately from the bracket? If it is mostly stripped, can I use some adhesive like Goop (clear rubber cement) or do I have to find a replacement cable?

A picture will follow soon if this does not ring any bells.

• Sponsors (?)

Yep there should be a small clip that slides in to your cable, i,d check out some junk yards in your area if you have one close by and look for any 5.0 in there yard with cruise and yank one out.

Thanks for the quick response. I checked under the hood and do not find the clip that fell off. So replacement time it is.
Here is a link to anther forum with Ford's picture. It looks like I am not the only one with this issue.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/mis.../1251205-87-93-cruise-control-cable-clip.html
I also swiped a picture off of ebay and trimmed just what I needed. I have the light gray part, but I do not have the little flat black clip that goes into it to hold the cable end in place. As our salvage yard situation is sad, I hope I can find it at Ford or jury rig a new clip.

Attachments

• Cruise ebay.jpg
    Cruise ebay.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 69
What you are seeing is 1/2 of a tinnerman clip nut used to secure sheet metal or machine screws in very thin sheet metal. Use a small abrasive cut off wheel in a Dremel tool or air powered cut-off tool to cut it in half and you have what you need.

Here's a picture of what a tinnerman clip nut looks like in it's orginal whole contruction so that you can get the idea.
utypedv.gif

Thanks for the easy hardware store solution for next time. If Ford did not have it, I was planning on using ti and some micro files to make it.
Ford said "NO PROBLEM!" with the picture I linked to. It was a nice surprise. I will have one Tuesday or Weds for less than $3.00 with tax. So this time it was not worth a trip to the salvage yard or to hardware store. But next time, I may be very glad to have the info.