• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Another dumb exhaust question?????

  • Thread starter Thread starter RUNINAGT
  • Start date Start date Jan 28, 2008
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

RUNINAGT

Member
Oct 3, 2005
237
2
18
CHARLESTON S.C.
Jan 28, 2008
#1
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #1
Im trying to fugure out what type of exhaust is run on the lets say 01ish GT's. I hear these cars sometimes and they just sound freakn mean and loud.
We are sitting here @ work and our counter faces the road, well it's about 60ish outside and we have the doors open. This black GT rides by as he is idleing down to get ready to stop for the light, and it just sounds sweet, kinda going blop blop blop, iv'e heard him gas it before and it sounds good.
I know this is stupid without sound clips of his, but man I like that sound. It seems like only the newer ones can get that tone . Is it that they have larger diameter tail that come straight out the back and mine are stock tails that are tucked under the bumper?
My setup is loud but the other has that mean roar, I feel dumber the more I type , .
Anyway just throwing it out there, maybe someone else knows what im talking about.
Heres a clip of mine
View attachment 333827
 

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
2,021
85
99
Montgomery, NY
Jan 28, 2008
#2
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #2
They have a 4.6, you have a 5.0

4.6 sound > 5.0 sound all day long. No way to get that tone without swapping to a modular. I too wanted that sound, but will never get it!
 

RUNINAGT

Member
Oct 3, 2005
237
2
18
CHARLESTON S.C.
Jan 28, 2008
#3
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #3
25thmustang said:
They have a 4.6, you have a 5.0

4.6 sound > 5.0 sound all day long. No way to get that tone without swapping to a modular. I too wanted that sound, but will never get it!
Click to expand...

TY didn't think I was gonna get a response. But now it makes sense.
 
5

5point0dude

Member
Sep 5, 2007
51
1
9
Jan 28, 2008
#4
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #4
Yeah, there's nothing really special about the New Edge exhaust, just that it comes from a modular. But your car's exhaust sounds great to me, that's how I want my Stang to sound, but I need to have cats on it.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,324
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Jan 28, 2008
#5
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #5
It's the engine that makes the sound.


I have the same exhaust on both my Mustangs....and the 4.6L > 5.0L

The 99-04's have a meaner sound due to slightly more aggressive cams than the 96-98 Mustangs,
 

LiquidGT

Member
Oct 8, 2007
368
0
16
Near STL hell
Jan 28, 2008
#6
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #6
My friend has a 2000 GT with an o/r x-pipe with flows, that mofo sounds loud and mean.

The 5.0 still has that classic one of a kind sound. But 4.6 or 5.0, you can stilll tell its a Mustang from a mile away.
 

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
9,516
6
99
Arkansas
Jan 28, 2008
#7
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #7
The sound from the 99-04 also comes from the increased airflow, via the intake and heads. It gives it a deeper tone.

I am with what Brian, aka 25th Mustang said.

I have owned both a 5.0 and 4.6L, it is the engine that does it

I swapped my heads, cam, and intake off of an '02 onto my '98, and the sound deepness increased slightly.

A Mac prochamber is a good starting point...
 
9

90five0oh

New Member
Sep 12, 2006
29
0
0
i live in robertsdale, al
Jan 28, 2008
#8
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #8
to me the modulars sound so freakin sick. i love that sound. im bout to get one as my DD and thats the first thing that its gonna get is o/r x and probly flows or mac flowpaths.. sry to jack the thread tho
 

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
2,021
85
99
Montgomery, NY
Jan 28, 2008
#9
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #9
Find a video of a 4.6 DOHC with LTs, off road X and Borla Stinger mufflers...

Just wow!
 

ryan218

In just 10 years, I'll be old enough to drive!!!!
Dec 28, 2005
0
1
38
columbus ohio
Jan 28, 2008
#10
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #10
i like the 5.0 sound more
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,324
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Jan 28, 2008
#11
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #11
The 5.0 sounds good, but the 4.6L has an "exotic" sort of sound in the upper RPM's.


I was just out driving my 4.6 around and rolling up to 5K in 2nd gear and then letting the RPM's come down on it's own. It sounded damn good. I was slightly jealous of myself for a second there
 

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
9,516
6
99
Arkansas
Jan 28, 2008
#12
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #12
25thmustang said:
Find a video of a 4.6 DOHC with LTs, off road X and Borla Stinger mufflers...

Just wow!
Click to expand...

A friend of mine, 98greenmachine on here, has that on her 04 Mach 1

You said it right...

Wow!

I think those 3Vs sound quite well myself
 

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
2,021
85
99
Montgomery, NY
Jan 28, 2008
#13
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #13
The 3Vs do, but I have heard some that sound bleh... the 4Vs though always seem to sound pissed off. Even with a simple O/R H and Flows they sound great!
 

Strippt88

New Member
Nov 24, 2006
81
0
0
Cedar Lake, Indiana
Jan 28, 2008
#14
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #14
Maybe I'm just the old guy here, and the 4.6 thing is great, but they will never, ever sound like a properly done 5.0, 2.5 off road X or H, with two chambers. Not a tinny, exhaust sound coming from mufflers, but thunder from under. Car alarms go off when I start mine, turn the radio off, can't you hear the real music? kinda sound. Yeah.
 
9

90five0oh

New Member
Sep 12, 2006
29
0
0
i live in robertsdale, al
Jan 28, 2008
#15
  • Jan 28, 2008
  • #15
Strippt88 said:
Maybe I'm just the old guy here, and the 4.6 thing is great, but they will never, ever sound like a properly done 5.0, 2.5 off road X or H, with two chambers. Not a tinny, exhaust sound coming from mufflers, but thunder from under. Car alarms go off when I start mine, turn the radio off, can't you hear the real music? kinda sound. Yeah.
Click to expand...

i agree with this guy. i love the 5.0 sound but then again the 4.6's sound awesome too. why not have both
 

RUNINAGT

Member
Oct 3, 2005
237
2
18
CHARLESTON S.C.
Jan 29, 2008
#16
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #16
I am running 40 series Flowmasters. Is there something meaner out there???
 

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
1,985
0
46
Simpsonville, SC
Jan 29, 2008
#17
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #17
Strippt88 said:
Maybe I'm just the old guy here, and the 4.6 thing is great, but they will never, ever sound like a properly done 5.0, 2.5 off road X or H, with two chambers. Not a tinny, exhaust sound coming from mufflers, but thunder from under. Car alarms go off when I start mine, turn the radio off, can't you hear the real music? kinda sound. Yeah.
Click to expand...

+1

While I do like the sound of the 4.6's, the 5.0's just sound better IMHO.
 

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
2,021
85
99
Montgomery, NY
Jan 29, 2008
#18
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #18
I run Spintech Pro Streets, coupled with Long Tubes and an O/R X. It is louder than my old Flowmaster/Prochamber/LT combo.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YLmn7hNiJPU
 
5

5point0dude

Member
Sep 5, 2007
51
1
9
Jan 29, 2008
#19
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #19
Mustang5L5 said:
The 5.0 sounds good, but the 4.6L has an "exotic" sort of sound in the upper RPM's.


I was just out driving my 4.6 around and rolling up to 5K in 2nd gear and then letting the RPM's come down on it's own. It sounded damn good. I was slightly jealous of myself for a second there
Click to expand...

Exactly. My dad's 2001 Cobra with a Ford Racing FR500 x-pipe and catback sounds icredible, there's no toher car in my town that sounds like it, it's just beautiful!
 
9

90five0oh

New Member
Sep 12, 2006
29
0
0
i live in robertsdale, al
Jan 29, 2008
#20
  • Jan 29, 2008
  • #20
RUNINAGT said:
I am running 40 series Flowmasters. Is there something meaner out there???
Click to expand...

mac flowpaths sound better IMO
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
438
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
886
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 11, 2026
02_2v_Curtis
0
D
Exhaust
  • Domkami
  • Feb 10, 2023
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
2K
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Feb 14, 2023
General karthief
SN Mustang Magnum T56 swap
  • revhead347
  • May 24, 2024
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
15
Views
7K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 28, 2026
GearHeadGuy
8
Engine cam upgrade to stock 87 foxbody gt 5.0 speed questions
  • 87foxbodystock
  • Aug 13, 2021
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
14
Views
12K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 14, 2021
mikestang63
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?