Another dumb one...8" whls...what will fit?

tygr1

Jun 16, 2004
SoCal
Ok, this is obviously an "I wish I didn't have to buy wider wheels" question, but what can you really fit on a 17x8 stock Cobra R that will still look ok?

Again, many thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

tygr1 said:
Ahaa...is the sidewall flex a real problem when driving or only when racing?

More in racing then on the street, but it will hurt the handling on the street as well if you like to push the car a little on windy roads. Plus the added sidewall doesn't look right on the rim in my opinion. 255 is the widest I'd go on 8" wheels.

Well here goes nothing. The last time I responded to a thread along this line I was called a liar and a fraud by some very closed minded people. But I guess I am a glutton for punishment. LOL My 275/40/17's fit just fine on my 03 Stang w/premium rims. There are no problems whatsoever....good soild footprint and no sidewall bulge. When I get photo's developed I will post some...until then...come see me in St. Louis!

03gtstangguy said:
Well here goes nothing. The last time I responded to a thread along this line I was called a liar and a fraud by some very closed minded people. But I guess I am a glutton for punishment. LOL My 275/40/17's fit just fine on my 03 Stang w/premium rims. There are no problems whatsoever....good soild footprint and no sidewall bulge. When I get photo's developed I will post some...until then...come see me in St. Louis!

I believe it, I've seen some that aren't too bad, but I think that has to do with which brand of tire you get. I've seen 275/40 BFG KDW's on 8" rims bulge like a mother. Then again I've seen 275/40 Kuhmos that didn't bulge. However the tire is still not designed to be mounted on an 8" rim. Most manufacturers recommend you have at least an 8.5" rim. That doesn't mean they won't mount up, but the manufacturer isn't going to back that tire if it's not made for that size wheel. Just my $.02.

03gtstangguy said:

What tires are you running bud?

I just noticed you are the guy who races AutoX in that other thread. I would not reccomend any bigger than a 255 wide tire if you are into the turns on an 8 inch rim. I have seen 275 bfg's mounted on the stock rim and its fine...but there is no way I would trust it taking high speed turns. If you are really into the twisties you should just buy some aftermarket rims that will fit whatever tire size you want.

Yes...I'm the jerk from the other thread. LOL

Not an Auto-Xer really...that was someone's assumption. More like I can't take any curve without doing it at twice the legal limit, you know. Better yet if there are LOTS of curves, one after another, hehe.

It's all I have left...no more racing at the track, so, 50 mph curves become 100 mph challenges, etc. I just grew up with it. If it ain't high velocity, it's just transportation to me.

Thanks for the straight up advice.

The tire that fits the best is the stock size, 245/45. You could try the 94-95 stock Cobra size, 255/45, but it'll be taller as well as wider. While wider tires will physically fit, you'll feel them squirm. You'll feel the increase in response time from the wheel turning direction to the tire tread changing direction vs the stock size.

275/40/17 BFG KDW - no problems on stock rims. no problems at high speed turns either. make sure the air pressure is 36-38 psi and you wont have to worry about any sidewall flex. just dont put them on the front, about the widest you can go is a 255/45/17 otherwise you'll have clearance problems.

well i dont really know much about the performance side of it, as i havent done any tests or anyhting... but from looks, a 245 just looks too small on a 8" rim... the rear ones anyways... i had 275/40ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supras on my rear 8" rims... yeah they looked like they were a bit wide for the rim, but still the wider tires just look so much better from the rear.... and they still seemed tight... i could take corners pretty hard