another dumb question but.....

road rage

Dec 14, 2003
R.I.
I notice that some people hae a breather filter in thier valve cover. Do people takeoff the oil fill cap and put that breather there instead? I know its a dumb question but would like to know what for. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

road rage said:
I notice that some people hae a breather filter in thier valve cover. Do people takeoff the oil fill cap and put that breather there instead? I know its a dumb question but would like to know what for. :shrug:

Yes, thats exactly what they do. On naturally aspirated cars it doesn't really help that much at all, imo its kinda mainly for looks. However it does serve a purpose for power adder applications. It releases crankcase pressure.

road rage said:

not worth it on the n/a car. Might get oil up in there if you replaced the cap with the breath valve. if you happen to get the breather valve on there and go to smog you might not pass sniff test.