Another exhaust question.

• Sponsors (?)

So i got the super 44 flowmaster catback system for my 98 gt and now i want to get a midpipe for it. My question is should i get an offroad x pipe or an h? And what are the advantages to them both?

Thanks.

X flows better then the H but you may lose a little low end tq but gain a few more ponys up top. An H will give you a little more low end tq but you will not make as much hp. I ran a MRT catted H for 3 years then switched to a VRS catted X pipe. To tell you the truth I didn't see a lose of low end tq but then again I have LT headers and stage II cams. Also I notice much less drone with the X pipe over the H. I was actually thinking getting the super 44s how do you like them?

H pipe for sure

I have a mac cat back and can honestly say go h pipe, I have had both and the h pipe out performs the x pipe all the way from 1000 to around 5400 rpms. if sound is your concern get h.....if not get x, but both are better than the stock mid pipe with 6 cats like mine had.

P32980 Image Large Photo

that was dyno'd on a 1990 5.0 that was primarily stock.

X-pipes sound bad with Chambered mufflers, mine sounds pretty mean if you ask me, funny thing is im a hardcore h fan, but when i bought the car it had an offroad x pipe, and when i put the flowmasters on it i liked the way it sounded, so just kept it.
Depends on what you want to sound like really, screaming at WOT=X, deep and loud at idle and through all RPMs=H IMO

So this: BBK Off-Road H-Pipe (96-98 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! would be a good choice?

And MIL eliminators would work with that h pipe?

yes that will work but i hate bbk pipes.....honestly do yourself a favor and go on ebay type in jegs h pipe, and then laugh at all the people who paid double and triple what you just did to get the same thing, I have it I had no issues with fitment everything went great with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEGS...itemZ400117209201QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

For mil's it is better imo to get splice in mil's....because the plug in kind are prone to not working right and cause the cel to come on.....I got these and they are very simple to install, all you do is cut the grey wire and the black wire on your o2sensor ,and wire these to both sides that you spliced, then plug you o2sensor back into the harness, you will see what I mean when you get under the car. it has been 2 weeks and still no check engine light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-0...iewItem&pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item1e59ea5151

This is my 5th mustang ive owned and I like this combo I have now the best. Offroad X and flowmasters. I think with the X the sound is more throaty. I do love the sound of flows with an H too though. You really cant go wrong with either. When you look up videos on youtube make sure to listen to them on drive bys not just sitting and reving. I like mine a lot more when theres a load on the engine.

I love them right now, just would like them to be a little louder.

Those will open up a bit more after about a month of normal driving...least mine did.They got noticably louder...:)

At first I didnt think I would like them that much since I thought the 40's I had on my GT were louder,but now Id say they are about the same except the 44's are lower tone.

Ive heard a couple stangs around town running UPR catted X-pipes and the OR version with the 44's and Im liking the sound of the catted....and I was an H-pipe fan now I want the UPR X.The OR one has kinda of a yuk sound to me.

Those will open up a bit more after about a month of normal driving...least mine did.They got noticably louder...:)

At first I didnt think I would like them that much since I thought the 40's I had on my GT were louder,but now Id say they are about the same except the 44's are lower tone.

Ive heard a couple stangs around town running UPR catted X-pipes and the OR version with the 44's and Im liking the sound of the catted....and I was an H-pipe fan now I want the UPR X.The OR one has kinda of a yuk sound to me.

I agree I like the sound better with hi flow cats on both an H and X.

:nice: No difference in power on a bolt on car.

I gained more with the VRS catted X over the MRT catted H with LTs and stage II cams.

Then what your saying is that X-pipes offers better performance.Fact.

define better performance, it has been dyno proven that an o/r h pipe produces more horsepower and torque than an x pipe all the way up to 5400 rpms after that the dyno that i saw the x produced 1 more hp and 1 more tq, hence the reason nascar uses them because they are always in high rpm range, unless you race a lot you are just wasting the whole concept of an x pipe.