Another setup #s guessing game...

beanplant

Founding Member
Jun 25, 2002
KC MO
Okay, I've pulled the motor, and I'm starting the restoration. I want this car to basically be a really nice street car that I can still take to the track occasionally and woop some ass. Okay, here's the setup idea:

Engine:
-302 bored .030 over
-Speedpro hypereutectic pistons
-Edelbrock 600CFM electric choke carb
-Edelbrock Performer RPM 4bbl intake
-Edelbrock 60259 cylinder heads (2.02 in. intake and 1.60 in. exhaust valves)
-Comp cams XE268H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifter Kit
-Lift:.509"/.512"
-Duration: 268/280
-1600-5800 RPM range

Drivetrain:
-2500 Stall converter
-AOD transmission
-4.11 positrac in a 9 inch.

Any comments? Tips? Ideas on numbers? I'm going to start buying parts soon, and still not sure which setup I'm going to be doing. Thanks guys!

-Shaun

• Sponsors (?)

Well the gears have got to stay. I've already dumped $500 into my rearend, so it'll have to stay. Which cam do you reccomend for 4.11 gears? Higher or lower lift? Thanks for the response guys!

-Shaun

I'd also go with heads with smaller 1.9 inch intake valves, unless you want to add to the cost of your rebuild by having the pistons flycut for the bigger 2.02 valves. A 302 really doesn't need that large of an intake valve to perform. i'd ditch the edelbrock carb too, it'll be a throttle on the breathing with those heads (or even smaller valve heads) and the cam/intake combo.

If your heart's set on Edelbrock heads, get a set with the smaller 1.9 inch intakes. As for a Carb, I'd recommend a 650 cfm. ( Holley is my favorite) With an AOD, you need to stick with a vacuum secondary carb. Holley makes a 650 cfm vac sec. carb with dual feed bowls, don't remember off hand what the list # is though.

Hey thanks man. I'm jsut not sure about the carbs yet. I
ve heard the Holley's are a SOB to tune. Also, I forgot to ask about ignition. What kind of distributor and such setup should I go with?

-Shaun

I think the gears are fine, especially with the overdrive. I mean it is a small block, its not gonna blow the tires off from a 60mph roll or anything. Cam should be good for a street car too. The 1.90 intake would be better, but I don't think you'll lose much with the bigger valve, maybe gain a little at higher rpms. If you're going for performance more than gas mileage, go with the 650 holley instead of the edelbrock. Sometimes the Holleys are a pain to tune, but when they're right they can't be beat. I'd say it should be good for 340-350 horses, should make good torque too, probably in the 330 ft-lbs range. Plenty for the street, have fun!

beanplant said:
Hey thanks man. I'm jsut not sure about the carbs yet. I
ve heard the Holley's are a SOB to tune. Also, I forgot to ask about ignition. What kind of distributor and such setup should I go with?

-Shaun
I run a stock rebuilt Ford points distributor in my 89 Ranger's 302, it's fitted with a Pertronix II, a small to large cap adapter, large EFI cap and rotor, Ford Racing 9mm wires and a Mallory Promaster coil. This setup costs less and performs flawlessly up to 7500 rpms. The distributor cost me nothing ( came from a parts motor) the coil was $60-70 , the steel cam gear was $40 ( for the roller cam) cap, rotor, and wires run about $60, the Pertronix II was 90 something dollars. Happy as Sh$# with it.