NewB here. Question about rocker arms

beanplant

Founding Member
Jun 25, 2002
KC MO
Okay, I've got the 306, and I think I've decided which setup I'm going with. I'm going to buy the Edelbrock RPM 7121 intake, the 7122 cam&lifter kit, the 60259 RPM heads (2.02 intake), and that covers just about everything. My motor is not a roller motor.... and I'm completely new at this. Will roller rockers not work with this setup? Will this setup even work for me without a roller motor? I guess what I'm asking is what all else do I need? which rockers? studs (if any)? and so on and so forth. Thanks guys!

-Shaun

• Sponsors (?)

The piston will need to be flycutted / notched for valve clearance with Edelbrock RPM heads with 2.02 valves. If you don't want to do that, I would suggest going with 1.90 valves. Roller Rockers will work fine. Complete heads with come with valves, springs, retainer, guides and rocker studs.

Sweet. Thanks man. About how much does fly cutting hte pistons cost? Is it worth it? Is it more of a custom thing? or is it something an O'Reilly machinist can do? Thanks!

-Shaun

You're just as well off with 1.94 intake valves. This size flows as well as 2.02's, due to the fact that the'yre not shrouded by the chamber wall as the 2.02's are. You won't know the difference , you'll just be aware of not having to do extra machine work in fly cutting the pistons. Get roller rockers for the size studs the heads will have ( 3/8 or 7/16) I would recommend 7/16. Ratio will depend on your cam. Most common is 1.6, but 1.7's give a little extra performance for the same money.

cool cool. Thanks a lot guys. Unfotunately I won't be able to go with this total setup until probably next summer. Just too expensive to do the rear end, tranny, and engine all at once. So I'll hafta push a lousy estimated 215HP until next summer when I can afford the heads and cam. Until then, I'll just be going with the RPM intake, and a 600CFM carb. =, ( Thanks for all the info guys!

-Shaun