another stupid question from none other!

nakednipple

Apr 18, 2005
hey folks, while thinkin of a way to get more hp i discovered i might be able to convert my 98 gt to a 99 cobra? what do u think? retarted? possible? what parts would i need. and how much could u estimate it out to be ?? thanks again :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

How did you make this "discovery"?

Are you serious?

Why not just buy a real Cobra? It will probably be a lot cheaper in the long run and it will be built by Ford.

Well... I believe that the Cobra has forged internals and IRS. So all you would have to do is swap engines and rear ends. Which would probably cost as much as getting a Cobra.

Don't you like your Mustang?

I know I would love to have a Cobra also and like you no way can I afford it...

Maybe if you can find a wrecked Cobra and get the engine and IRS out of it you might be able to pull it off.

I think you should just mod the car you have though rather than trying to make it into something that it isn't.

The Kenne Bell would definitely go a long way to increasing its enjoyment factor. $4800 and supposed to be easy to install. :)

First of all, you do not need the cobra IRS at all.

I would suggest converting it to a 96-98 cobra because your transmission should bolt right up and its only got about 15hp less than the 99. I think it would be easier with the computer and such too.

99/01 did not have forged internals but did have IRS. 03 was when they started forging the internals (along with supercharging)

do i need the whole engine itself or jsut certain parts off the engine ? and i just want the engine not the IRS which its aparent it didnt have... what "parts" do i need to make it a 99 cobra

nakednipple said:
do i need the whole engine itself or jsut certain parts off the engine ? and i just want the engine not the IRS which its aparent it didnt have... what "parts" do i need to make it a 99 cobra
Why do you keep wanting 99? I would for sure go with a 96-98 cobra engine.

Again, although I already said it, the 96-98 made only 15hp less and the same torque as the 99/01 engine.

You would need the entire engine. Possibly the trans too...do you have the t45 or are you auto? Not sure if the auto bolts up but I think the t45 does.

You would need to do one of two things when installing...
1. Get the cobra wiring harness and put that in (big hassle...but may need to be done for it to be done right)
2. Modify your current GT harness (must have someone that knows what they're doing do this). The benefit of this is you dont need to rewire your whole car...

Any 4.6 trans will bolt up to any 4.6 motor. FRPP has a crate motor which is basically the same as an 01 Cobra motor. This would be your best bet from what you have posted. You'll definitly notice the difference from the crap non-PI your running now!!

i would say that you should sell your car and just buy a 99 cobra. it would be so much easier and plus it would look a million times better. you would have to deal with all the wiring and stuff like that. OR get the 96-98 cobra engine, but then it just wouldnt look as sweet. So save the hassle and buy the 99', i bet it will end up about the same $$$ and then you will have a real cobra. but what do i know just my input.

since you are stuck on the cobra, why not take the same steps, just not a cobra block. get a VTengines Big bore block, lightweight rotating assembly, and CR of 12:1. get some MPH 2.5 heads, and VT stage 2 cams. that will be better then the cobra block by far. get the Fox lake P51, 75mmTB, and the Demolet CAI with a good exhaust and you have the best NA powerhouse possible (in my opinion). throw in pulleys and a good tune and call it a beast.

Torinalth

To answer your question... unless more than a couple people have accomplished this, its almost impossible to turn a GT block into a 4V headed motor. For what it would cost and the labor involved you should just replace the block with a 4V(cobra) long-block and go from there. It really depends on how much power you want to make and how much $$$ you want to spend to get to that number. If you can be happy with 400-500 at the wheels you should just stick with the GT block and do heads/cam/blower.

Anyone feel free to make corrections :)

4v Cobra swap ANY year 96-04
96-98 imrc's twin port 236-270 hp At wheels
99-04 tumbell port 256-276 hp At wheels
03-04 better head for tumbell port (Easy 30 hp over 96-98 heads)

Heads, cams, intake ( upper and lower), timing set, harness, computer.
Trans bolts up no prob. The most $ thing is the computer unless you go with 03-04 heads.

Attachments

• 96-Cobra-Block.jpg
    96-Cobra-Block.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 75