Any good tech articles on long tube installs?

95snoozer

Dec 14, 2002
RCR
I have read many and am sure I know the ins and outs.

but I am sure there are a few quarks I dont know. Maybe you guys could tell me what problems you ran into.

I have done h pipes and catbacks lying on my back in the parking lot, but LTs are a different story.

What all is involved with relocating the )2s and what is done with the steering shaft, and which joint is undone?

Thanks guys :D

• Sponsors (?)

I didnt really run into any problems at all. I just followed the instructions included and it wasn't that bad.

Get some oxygen sensor extenders and you will be fine there. The steering shaft unbolts really easily.

I unbolted the motor mounts, jacked the motor up about 3 inches. This gave clearance everywhere. Buy O2 extenders from Brothers or Dallas Mustang ($35). Basically it's just bolts so don't sweat it. Have beer, band aids and patience.

The drivers side is cake. Just unbolt the steering shaft and it takes two seconds to slide in there. I didn't even lift my motor. The passanger side was a bitch....but it slide in there with some persuation. The part that took the longest for me was getting a socket around the 12 point nuts so I could tighten them down. I think I'm going to stay with header studs but get some 6 point nuts instead. I retightened them once and haven't touched them since and they don't leak.

Jake

well when did you buy them.

the revised ones arent really too new, but there are some sold used that are the old versions

did you go from the top or bottom? when installing

Major gearhead like yourself should have no prob.... :D

As Vib said....undo the mounts get the motor up couple inches...will save much aggrarvation here...

Drivers is simp...matchmark your steering shaft..undo it, push and zip-tie outta the way..undo and pull the dipstick...this side is tit, the thing falls right in...the stock dipstick will have to be bent some to get around the tubes...it wont bolt back to the stock location....it can be slid/rotated towards the AC line and be usable...zip-tie it...or get an FRPP curved stick, it will slide in, bolt to the header..done deal..

Pass side...remove all the smog stuff...push the motor to the drivers side...top or bottom, she'll slide in...mine went in from the bottom...left the starter installed to boot...EGR tube will have to be modified depending on your intake set-up, if your even running it..O/2s..I simply added the proper wire and spliced em in with butt connectors...no probs there, no lights...

Only thing i added was a Kirban...mine was pig rich after the install...that cured that, simply dial the FP down some, drive it...read the plugs..add fuel til it looks good...took me a week of tuning to nail that down til i liked the plugs...Get some STG8s/Fel-Pro1415s and be done with it...

RIO5.0 said:
Major gearhead like yourself should have no prob.... :D

As Vib said....undo the mounts get the motor up couple inches...will save much aggrarvation here...

Drivers is simp...matchmark your steering shaft..undo it, push and zip-tie outta the way..undo and pull the dipstick...this side is tit, the thing falls right in...the stock dipstick will have to be bent some to get around the tubes...it wont bolt back to the stock location....it can be slid/rotated towards the AC line and be usable...zip-tie it...or get an FRPP curved stick, it will slide in, bolt to the header..done deal..

Pass side...remove all the smog stuff...push the motor to the drivers side...top or bottom, she'll slide in...mine went in from the bottom...left the starter installed to boot...EGR tube will have to be modified depending on your intake set-up, if your even running it..O/2s..I simply added the proper wire and spliced em in with butt connectors...no probs there, no lights...

Only thing i added was a Kirban...mine was pig rich after the install...that cured that, simply dial the FP down some, drive it...read the plugs..add fuel til it looks good...took me a week of tuning to nail that down til i liked the plugs...Get some STG8s/Fel-Pro1415s and be done with it...

thanks, I have no smog stuff anyways, my dip sick is already bent for the EL shorties, I have a fuel pressure regular and knew I would have to mess with tuning.

so the LTs richen it up due to the 02s being further from the engine and cooler?

I have a HUGE gap form the smog and overflow tank reservoir being gone, so It may be simple to go in from the top on the passengers side, perhaps.

I have some Mr. gasket 7160s sitting here. anyone know if that is ok for stock e7s?