any odd place where a vacuum leak may occur

darkarrow

May 1, 2005
i still have the high idle problem, i would like to know if anyone would know of a place in the car/engine where a small vacuum leak could occur in a 1993 mustang gt vert. i have search throughout my car and found no leaks, but i have checked everything to be the cause of the leak, but i get good vacuum pressure @ -18psi, stock is -15psi. This is the only thing left that can cause my high idle. i appreciate any help.

• Sponsors (?)

darkarrow said:
i still have the high idle problem, i would like to know if anyone would know of a place in the car/engine where a small vacuum leak could occur in a 1993 mustang gt vert. i have search throughout my car and found no leaks, but i have checked everything to be the cause of the leak, but i get good vacuum pressure @ -18psi, stock is -15psi. This is the only thing left that can cause my high idle. i appreciate any help.

vacuum canister on passenger side , vacuum comes from under upper intake and routes behind the distributor over to it and has a solenoid in between , advice from me is pull the upper intake and replace all the vacuum lines at once I went thru this myself ......

if you have 18 PSI in the vac lines, that can be an issue (or do you mean 18" hg of vacuum)? :shrug:

if you have that much vac, i would doubt you have enough of a leak to cause issues. high idle can be caused by other things (and vac leaks have other symptoms). Not doubting you, just posting what my first blush thoughts were (w/o knowing other pertinant info which you do know). :)

good luck.

yes, im sorry, i forget the vacuum is measured in 18" of mercury. that is my vacuum pressure, but i have done almost all other things to fix the idle problem. i have switched out the MAF sensor, replaced half of the vacuum hoses, and checked them all, i have sprayed the gaskets with carb cleaner looking for a leak. i have bypassed the charcoal black box to test for a leak there. with no success. i have cleaned and checked the IAC by removing the IAC and pluging the holes of the IAC, and the car idled normally @ 700rpm, i was told the car should die or be near to dying, but it never got close to that. so i conclusively figured it must be a vacuum leak problem. the idle set screw is set where the blade in the throttle body is just out of the range to stick on the aluminum. the idle problem persist and i am being driven more made every day. could it be a problem with the thick film integrated ignition, i woudnt think so though. if anyone has anyother suggestion on how tho fix the problem, please tell me, i have done all i know to fix the problem. when i run koeo, i recieve no codes, but with koer i recieve a code that states the idle is too high and nothing else.

ITS A VACUUM LEAK , TRUST ME , DONT MESS WITH THE IDLE SCREW , I have been thru this myself ......if you are in or around Bedford VA , I will do the work myself for 25 bucks and a 12 pack ........pull preferably both intakes because the lowers are notorious for leaking oil out the back .... plus you can replace the PCV valve and breather screen while its apart ...but I am 99 percent sure you have what I went thru , I replaced my computer and several sensors , egr and all before i finally gave in and pulled the whole top the engine apart , I had sprayed 5 cans or carb cleaner on the engine and hoses and it never picked up the leak , but I found it less than 30 minutes into the tear down ........cracked hose going to the emissions canister .......you talking about being pissed off ....I hope no one ever has to go thru the greef I did to find such a small problem .......

if you could, please give me some more info, i live in edmond oklahoma, and i have been dealing with this for about 4-5 months now, the problem occured the same time my MAF sensor got clogged with dirt and ther car began to backfire continuously at all RPMs. i have replaced the hose going to the the emissions canister from the front of the upper manifold, but i havent taken the manifold off. if you would please give me some more info, i would really, really appreciate it. i have already spent about $700 on misc parts for the backfire problem, which turned out to be clogged MAF, and everything else that could cause idle and lean fuel problem, or backfire problems, autozone usually helps alot, but the mustang genius i have talked to cannot put a finger on it. i couldnt be more thankful if you were to tell more about your problem and the solution, please i beg you.