any of you guys ever do the AOD manual shift trick?

bergs

Jan 19, 2004
new jersey
i just remembered an old trick that i used to do with my 88 AOD lx. you put it back into 1 and floor it. then when you redline push it up into D and let the trans shift. then pull it back into 1 and you are stuck in second gear. untill you want to shift. then you put it back into D for 3rd gear and then you put it into OD for 4th. i actually riped my T-handle off of the shifter once doing this.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes of course.

Everyone usually says it's bad for the transmission....but...

I've done it every day for the last 50,000 miles that i have driven my car. The tranny shifts no different that it did when i first got the car. That's with no aftermarket cooler, shift kit or converter. I treat my tranny like i hate it...which i actually do. DIE AOD

I used to do it all the time then I put a stick in it.At the track I did it on a bunch of passes and the fastest pass of the day was when I left it in D and let it shift on it's own.

Willys1, is there a specific transgo kit designed for lower gearing like my 4.10's? Does it come with a rev kit because this shifting at 4,200rpm crap has to stop!