any tips to get reverse light bulbs out of the rear?

StolenGT

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2002
Syracuse
Both of my reverse lights are blown out. I took off the covers, and I can't get the bulbs to turn. I'm afraid that they'll shatter if I'm any more ruff with them. Any ideas?

Use protective glove and get em out of there. If it breaks in the socket, there is a funny but good way to get them out of there by cutting a potato or something soft like that in half and sticking it over the broken bulb and turning. May sound weird but it worked for me.

well, i broke the first one...then i figured out with the second one that you have to push it in then turn it 1/4 turn. Turns out only one bulb had burned out, the other one was fine, but they're not working, so I've got a wiring problem somewhere.

StolenGT said:
well, i broke the first one...then i figured out with the second one that you have to push it in then turn it 1/4 turn. Turns out only one bulb had burned out, the other one was fine, but they're not working, so I've got a wiring problem somewhere.

Mine are the same way. It may possible be the reverse switch that gives the lights power when you shift into reverse. That's what I think it is on mine, at least.

StolenGT said:

I thought I had a wiring problem too, as the bulb was good. Turned out to be making a poor connection inside the socket. CLeaned it with electric contact cleaner and reinstalled it and it works fine. Try that before tracing wiring.

i too had this problem. My right rear indicator wasn't working, straight away i went to swap the globe. Couldn't get it out, i knew it needed to be pushed in and twisted but still no luck. I ended up breaking the globe it and pulling the metal casing out with some pliers. Then i had a lot of trouble trying to get the new globe back in, just didn't want to stay in, finally got it done after a few abusive words to my car. Got in my car and tried it out, didn't work still, checked the wires and it was a loose connection. Good lesson in that huh!