Any write up on Camshaft install on a Windsor ( 99-00 ) Motor ?

mpcv2000

Jul 29, 2002
Montreal , Quebec !
I should get my SHM 2750 stage II this week and more and more I'm thinking about doing it myself. ( a friend of mine will be close in case if I'm lost.. )

I have the Ford service Manual ( CD ) and I have a few question :

1st, I specified 99-00 cause the Windsor motor , camshaft gears are press on so I have to remove the front timing covers to remove the cams..96-98 and 01-04 you don't , you can do it without removing them.

I was wondering what you guys are using to hold the cams in place if you don't have this tool

303-557 (T96T-6256-B)

View attachment 524663

What about the one to hold the crankshaft..

303-448 (T93P-6303-A)

I'm thinking about taking my stock crankshaft pulley and modify it to make a tool ( I have Steeda Pulleys )

I will not be in a hurry to do the job , even if it takes me 2 days I'm fine with that !

I have the Frod write up but sometime people have tricks to make it simpler to understand .

I'm waiting for your comments !

Attachments

• OTC6024-L.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 91
Jay ! 99 & 00 gears are press on , 96-98 & 01+ you just unbolt them and put them back on the new cams , I can't do that with mine , I have to buy 96-98 or 01 + sprocket or SHM gears ( must be the same sprockets )

I found a good write up on cams install done by Bill ( Mustang92) here !

Not mine, but a very comprehensive write-up at Modular Depot.

http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=39

We didn't use the cam tool you have pictured when we swapped mine out. I'm not exactly sure why you would need to use it BTW, are you changing springs or are you using a low-lift cam? If you are changing the springs, you will want to get the OTC valve-spring compressor.

Also, you are correct. '99-'00 engines have pressed on cam gears. '01 thru '04 have bolt-on gears.

1low03gt said:
As for the cams with press on gears,that would be '99 right to '04!!

EDIT: Damn, I shouldn't try to surf more than one page at a time if I want to post in a timely manner....mpcv2000 beat me to it.

Attachments

• OTC6024-L.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 109