Any write up on Camshaft install on a Windsor ( 99-00 ) Motor ?

mpcv2000

Jul 29, 2002
Montreal , Quebec !
I should get my SHM 2750 stage II this week and more and more I'm thinking about doing it myself. ( a friend of mine will be close in case if I'm lost.. :D )

I have the Ford service Manual ( CD ) and I have a few question :

1st, I specified 99-00 cause the Windsor motor , camshaft gears are press on so I have to remove the front timing covers to remove the cams..96-98 and 01-04 you don't , you can do it without removing them.

I was wondering what you guys are using to hold the cams in place if you don't have this tool :shrug:

303-557 (T96T-6256-B)

View attachment 524663

What about the one to hold the crankshaft.. :shrug:

303-448 (T93P-6303-A)

OTC6024-L.gif

I'm thinking about taking my stock crankshaft pulley and modify it to make a tool ( I have Steeda Pulleys )

I will not be in a hurry to do the job , even if it takes me 2 days I'm fine with that !

I have the Frod write up but sometime people have tricks to make it simpler to understand .

I'm waiting for your comments !

:nice:

Attachments

• OTC6024-L.gif
    OTC6024-L.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Sponsors (?)

Jay ! 99 & 00 gears are press on , 96-98 & 01+ you just unbolt them and put them back on the new cams , I can't do that with mine , I have to buy 96-98 or 01 + sprocket or SHM gears ( must be the same sprockets )

I found a good write up on cams install done by Bill ( Mustang92) here !

mpcv2000 said:
I should get my SHM 2750 stage II this week and more and more I'm thinking about doing it myself. ( a friend of mine will be close in case if I'm lost.. :D )

I have the Ford service Manual ( CD ) and I have a few question :

1st, I specified 99-00 cause the Windsor motor , camshaft gears are press on so I have to remove the front timing covers to remove the cams..96-98 and 01-04 you don't , you can do it without removing them.

I was wondering what you guys are using to hold the cams in place if you don't have this tool :shrug:

303-557 (T96T-6256-B)

View attachment 524637

What about the one to hold the crankshaft.. :shrug:

303-448 (T93P-6303-A)

OTC6024-L.gif

I'm thinking about taking my stock crankshaft pulley and modify it to make a tool ( I have Steeda Pulleys )

I will not be in a hurry to do the job , even if it takes me 2 days I'm fine with that !

I have the Frod write up but sometime people have tricks to make it simpler to understand .

I'm waiting for your comments !

:nice:

Not mine, but a very comprehensive write-up at Modular Depot.

http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=39

We didn't use the cam tool you have pictured when we swapped mine out. I'm not exactly sure why you would need to use it :shrug: BTW, are you changing springs or are you using a low-lift cam? If you are changing the springs, you will want to get the OTC valve-spring compressor.

Also, you are correct. '99-'00 engines have pressed on cam gears. '01 thru '04 have bolt-on gears.

1low03gt said:
As for the cams with press on gears,that would be '99 right to '04!! :nono: :stick: ;) :D

:bs: :rolleyes:

EDIT: Damn, I shouldn't try to surf more than one page at a time if I want to post in a timely manner....mpcv2000 beat me to it.

Attachments

• OTC6024-L.gif
    OTC6024-L.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 107