Anybody else get pissed when they pop the hood?

cobra dave

Sep 1, 2003
I just recently started doing some polishing, started small with the coil bracket and just finished up the thermostat housing today and they both turned out really nice. I plan on moving on to the c&l meter next then the trueflow then brackets and eventually the intake, like i said i'm starting small but then i look at this incredible cluster F**k of wires and other emissions garbage and so on and it makes me personally over look the polished things. I'm damn well about ready to take the a/c out, the smog pumps coming out anyway and then just whatever else i can to make it more presentable. Heres my other problem though............Electronics scare me, i'm afraid if i start rerouting things i'm going to screw something up and then going back and tracing it is going to be a bastard. I dont know i'm just tired of seeing a mess IMO. If anyones got the time let me know what you guys have done to clean it up and make it look nice. Where do i start? Thanks fellas.

• Sponsors (?)

**** I have the same kind of problem, but mines not a wires or emissions garbage everywhere... Just a whole lot of dust from sanding bondo :) Hiding wires isnt hard at all. Get some masking tape out, and number each plug and connector so you know which one goes where. It just takes some time. Do a search for hiding wires, or wire hiding and you'll find a lot of info. I've hid the wires, removed AC, smog, and EGR on my car and this is what it looks like as of 5 minutes ago when I took the picture

fender014.jpg

Rio yeah it looks like hell from the dust but after thats all cleaned up it wont be bad. In my case for instance where did you put the fuse box or is it just off for your prep work?

cobra dave said:
Rio yeah it looks like hell from the dust but after thats all cleaned up it wont be bad. In my case for instance where did you put the fuse box or is it just off for your prep work?
Rio isnt the one who posted that ;) My fuse box is located on the frame rail inside the inner fender

I've moved a bunch of stuff into the fenders (Except the main fuse box). Everything reached except the head light connector. A Soldering gun and 8 inches of 22g wire solved that easily.

Get the car in the air. Take the front wheels off. Then remove the inner fender liner. Everything will be exposed now. Go to town.

1105 said:
Rio isnt the one who posted that ;) My fuse box is located on the frame rail inside the inner fender

Oops my fault dude. The fenderwell would have been my second guess but i also thought of how much of a PITA it would be if you blew a fuse. I'm sure you have got that covered though. Thanks man.

OinkAodeOink said:
Yea, once you have the engine bay looking nice, you'll get pissed everytime you open the hood and see markings, and crap you have to clean off the polished goodies..
Its bad either way :D

Yeah thats what im thinkin would happen to me. Thats why i dont do any looks stuff under the hood. Too me thats the buisness end. The outside of the car is where the looks should be done. Oh, and im also very lazy, hahah

WhiteDevil said:
Yeah thats what im thinkin would happen to me. Thats why i dont do any looks stuff under the hood. Too me thats the buisness end. The outside of the car is where the looks should be done. Oh, and im also very lazy, hahah

i totally agree with you...... I'm lazy too :rlaugh:

i like the look of the shine and luster from polishing but to get it there and keep it there is a lot of work. I'm thinking about removing all the rough flash casting from all the brackets, valve covers, alt., and just sending it out to get chromed. less work to keep it looking good.

i would like to start hiding some wires but it looks to be alot of work. maybe when i install my H/C/I combo, i'll tackle it.

Your all right about keeping it clean but when it is clean it looks damn good. I clean up the engine bay at least once or twice a month anyways so it doesnt really bother me but like i said i'm just tired of looking at a cluster f**k of wires and so-on. I've pretty much decided to just go ahead and spend the time to take the drivers side fender off (again), hell i wont be driving it for the next 3 or so months, relocate the battery and get rid of all the emissions junk and start stuffing wires. My 6al is in the fender why the hell not put more s**t in there. I have to keep the a/c though for my 9month old. He's only been in there once but he doesn't need to be sweatin nuggets for my sake.

I don't have a problem with popping my hood.... :D
attachment.php

Did the wire hiding thing a while ago, real easy. All the connectors only go to one place so you can't screw it up. I still marked them just to be safe. Just get a crap load of zipties, take out the splash shields and go to town.

Attachments

• Engine1.jpg
    Engine1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 239
cobra dave said:
Oops my fault dude. The fenderwell would have been my second guess but i also thought of how much of a PITA it would be if you blew a fuse. I'm sure you have got that covered though. Thanks man.

It would be (is) a PITA, I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to get at it now lol. I've been meaning to check my AC fuse for a while now haha

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=407315

This thread was helpful for me when I hid my wires.

The oil cap, I just took a screwdriver and pryed off the top part of the stock oil cap, so now I just have the bottom part for the oil cap, I'm still trying to figure out something else since it looks kinda ugly.

The GT-40 flows decent, I'm only about 5-10 rwhp off from the Eddy/trick flow people. I'm at 297 rwhp and 322 rwtq on the 10th dyno run within an hour (heatsoak was very evident) with a slipping clutch. I was also running very conservative timing (max of about 28-29* in the PMS unit). The dyno tuner said with more timing and fuel and a new clutch, I should see 310 rwhp.

I could switch to the eddy and maybe pick up like 7 rwhp but I've always loved the look of the GT-40 and I'm more than pleased with it so far. If you don't care about looks, the eddy, holly or trick flow intakes will get you a bit more power, but I wanted a little of both so I went GT-40.

matthiasj said:
hey fast94GT, how do you like that GT-40 intake? I've never really heard or seen anyone with it. Does it flow better than an Eddy, or other name brand intake??
check the 94/95 faq sticky out. it flows the same as the cobra and explorer intake