Anybody have experience with Mallory coils?

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
I bought one for my truck back in January. Monday night I noticed it was shooting sparks from the cylinder part of the coil to the metal part. You can see in these pics where it was making burn marks.

2010-09-22143630.jpg

2010-09-22143641.jpg

Well I call Summit and they say "that's not suppose to do that we'll send you a new one". I got the new one yesterday and installed it. I didn't drive my truck till this afternoon. I had it running today to top off my coolant then shut it off and got ready for work. I drove to work which is a mile or less and parked it. Came back around 8:30 fired it up and wanted to check my coolant and the new coil is doing the same damn thing.

I called Summit and the guy said sounds like it's your wiring cause you can't have two bad coils. Now I have to call back tomorrow and talk to a tech person.

Has anybody had any experience with Mallory stuff? I'm wondering how good it is now and if I should get something different.

I do have a older style Summit Multi Spark box maybe that's too much for it :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't see how a coil can be wired wrong? That sounds like an insulation failure. Honestly sounds like 2 bad coils in a row. Do you have a stock coil you can try?

Kurt

Update on this. I called Summit and the tech guy asked what I was using it on. I told hime an 01 Dodge Ram 2500 and he was like oh. Did some searching and said the that ohms were off of what I need for my truck. He looked and said they would send me one that will work. The are sending me an Accel coil. I'm not very happy about that cause I've heard bad stories about their stuff. I guess we shall see what happens

Update on this. I called Summit and the tech guy asked what I was using it on. I told hime an 01 Dodge Ram 2500 and he was like oh. Did some searching and said the that ohms were off of what I need for my truck. He looked and said they would send me one that will work. The are sending me an Accel coil. I'm not very happy about that cause I've heard bad stories about their stuff. I guess we shall see what happens
cant be any worse then your current situation. :shrug:

I had an Accel coil on my car for years, both on the stock engine and the stroker. I had no problems at all with it, other than the yellow coil on a red car didn't look right. So I painted it black. :)

Yeah Mike IDK. Most of the Dodgeforum guys that have used them said they crap out. Personally I'd rather have a MSD but I'll take what they give me. They could have said "Screw you, you bought the wrong one that's on you." My friend has one on his Ram and hasn't had any issues so hopefully I'll be fine. I'm more worred about how it's gonna look ha ha. Totally gonna screw up my setup now.

I have always used a Crane Cams one. Too bad you can't get those anymore. I'm not sure about all of Accel's stuff. Their caps, rotors, and ignition wires are the best stuff you can get though. Not sure about their ignition coils. Can't be any worse than MSD. Everything they make sucks.

Kurt