Anyone else have a large draw to battery?

drakesdad

Jul 29, 2005
Oregon OHIO
Trying to get a few things together and figured I woud look into my battery drain......was thinking it was the amp line the whole time,(it is direct to the battery terminal with a fuse) It wasn't that, I have a dim light on that but when I touch the battery connector it is bright...The car came with a car starter, I will do the old fashioned pull the fuses one at a time......It had a draw even before I did the TFS install......Anyone else had this....I am talking that within three to six days I have to jump it....so I leave the terminal off if I don't plan on driving it.....

• Sponsors (?)

You have the right idea with checking the draw. Dont forget to disco things like the alternator, in case it has a bad diode (that can wipe a battery fast).

Also check the vanity mirror lights, glovebox light (I cant remember if we even have those. :p ), the trunk light, etc to make sure they are not staying on.

Good luck.

Just went through the same thing. I've had my car about 7 months and when I got it, it had a fairly new battery in it. Keeping that in mind I went through everything you're talking about trying to find it. This past weekend I decided to pop the caps on the less than one year old battery and what do you know. All 6 reservoirs were half or more empty. Because of this my battery wasn't fully recharging and after about a week of sitting would be dead.

Cliffs: don't forget to check that battery.

Just went through the same thing. I've had my car about 7 months and when I got it, it had a fairly new battery in it. Keeping that in mind I went through everything you're talking about trying to find it. This past weekend I decided to pop the caps on the less than one year old battery and what do you know. All 6 reservoirs were half or more empty. Because of this my battery wasn't fully recharging and after about a week of sitting would be dead.

Cliffs: don't forget to check that battery.

pop the caps??? how old is your battery?? lol i thought all batteries were sealed case only nowadays except for farm equiptment batteries lol

autozone batts are not sealed (at least the mustang ones), I have noticed that batts. on the shelf at Wally World also have the caps.

I had a slight draw on mine...I also found a bad alt. and the batt. was an autozone one and I have never had great luck with them. I leave mine sitting for a month or more at a time though and leave the batt. un-hooked when I know its going to be awhile.

Im still dealing with my prob. I found out my draw from the ol pull the fuses trick. I found my fuse that does the vanity lights, trunk light hood light etc. was the prob. I just dont know which one of those lights is the prob....

I would go and try pulling the bulbs one at a time with the meter on the batt. if you pull the bulb the circ. should be broken on that line. Again when the volts drop with the correct bulb that is the one thats the issue.

Agreed. Vanity lights are kinda famous for not quite turning off if the lid is worn. The trunk light is on a mercury switch IIRC. You can ask your next kidnapping victim if the light is on :D , or you could fold the back seat down with the trunk closed and see if the light is on.

Good luck.