Anyone Ever Done This?

Good Evening All!

I am in the process of getting my car up to snuff, ya know fixing its minor issues so I can move on to bigger and better things (i.e Superchargers???). In any case, I have of late noticed a fuel leak from the area where the filler tube connects with the fuel tank, which I assume is the result of a bad fuel filler tube grommet, which looks to cost about $20. I am curious if anyone else has ever had this issue and fixed it, I have limited space to work with so removing the fuel tank could be quite a chore, though i'd rather do it myself than pay a shop for something that I could probably handle. Any advice/stories are appreciated!

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

If possible, make sure you have a near empty tank or it'll be damn heavy. It's a pretty straightforward process otherwise; just lower the tank enough to get the filler neck out, pull out the old grommet, lube the new one up with some motor oil, pop it in, and put the filler neck back on. Done!

It's just three bolts that hold it in place with the tank straps. The driver's side strap is only one bolt toward the front of the car, with the rear of the strap held in place as sort of a hinge. I don't remember how many bolts there are holding the filler neck in place, but I want to say there's three at the top (inside the fuel door) and one holding it in place with a ring around the tube, that's bolted to the tank itself.

The last one I did was on a 98 GT and it was just about like Matt outlined.

For the tank, I put a piece of plywood on the pad of the jack (a nice big jack works better than a 15 dollar trolley) and used that to support the tank. I do recall having to squirm the tank around the tailpipe but the exhaust was not quite stock on that particular car.

With one person, it's pretty easy (as I'm imagining you doing this in a parking lot or something similar) and with two people, it's real easy.

Let me say that: if you are considering doing a blower, during the grommet install you will be halfway to swapping the fuel pump..............

Good luck.

You won't have any meaningful side effects from the large pump (at least the non HP pump - I'm not sure about running the HP version while fairly stock. Others will know). A lot of guys have the regular 255's and really dont need half of it.

It really is a decent idea - your stock pump has some miles and some age on it. Paul is on the same page as I was - anytime the tank comes down, I replace the grommet. Period. It pays for itself the first time half a tank of gas leaks out overnight.

Good luck.

You won't have any meaningful side effects from the large pump (at least the non HP pump - I'm not sure about running the HP version while fairly stock. Others will know). A lot of guys have the regular 255's and really dont need half of it.

It really is a decent idea - your stock pump has some miles and some age on it. Paul is on the same page as I was - anytime the tank comes down, I replace the grommet. Period. It pays for itself the first time half a tank of gas leaks out overnight.

Good luck.

I didn't have to wait overnight. It was summer and I was filling the tank. Noticed my ankles getting wet. :shrug: Looked down and it was pouring out as I was filling it. :bang:

Kinda scary too... it was running down my tailpipe. :eek:

I didn't have to wait overnight. It was summer and I was filling the tank. Noticed my ankles getting wet. :shrug: Looked down and it was pouring out as I was filling it. :bang:

Kinda scary too... it was running down my tailpipe. :eek:

And by tailpipe, you mean.........? :rlaugh:

That definitely is not cool. I don't think I've ever seen one that bad. I am not real sure why a conventional filler tube type thing (like many GM's use) wasn't used by Ford. It can make things easier.