anyone have a tech link, or article on how to change the rear end gears?

FiveO

Founding Member
Jan 28, 2001
NJ
my bro wants to change his rear end gears in his 69 mustang. he isn't sure if he wants to do it himself. i was wondering if any of you guys had a tech article or a link to one that could help him/me in the decision. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

If he does it himself make sure he has all the proper tools for doin it. Or has two sets of gears and plans to get a shop to do the second set. I bought a stang with a home job done, 1500.00 dollars later I got new gears cause the ones in the car were toast, there was also filings that took out the seals and bearings which in turn killed my axles. In short, have a shop do it, it's warrantied and easier.

they are easier but well.........with the 8.8 your doing it all under the car and using shims to set the ring gear and on a 9 incher you have the center section ( pumpkin ) out of the car and you adjust the ring gear by threaded bearing retainers that screw in and out. the beuty of the 8 or 9 inch is if you get it out and have problems with it you can take it to some one and not have to give them the whole car or axle............