Anyone have any issues with the ford racing 31 spline posi?

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
I'm looking to order my rear end parts soon. Im planning on using the ford racing 31 spline posi for $199. It should be plenty for me. I've seen guys on the forums using it with good success but I figured i'd ask.

I'll be doing moser 31 spline axles, all new bearings/seals, ford 4.30 gears and probably a girdle. I will also eventually be doing mickey thompson drag radials for my pony wheels.

• Sponsors (?)

I tow with the same Traction Lok unit and it holds up very nicely. I would think that you will easily destroy other parts of the driveline long before you hurt the Traction Lok, even a 28 spline. I know of a guy locally, Justin Burcham, who runs mid 9's on the stock Traction Lok.

Like mentioned above, shouldn't be an issue. You may want to add the extra clutch if you can for some added strength. The 4:30's are really going to wake your combo up.

Rick 91GT said:
The 4:30's are really going to wake your combo up.

Yeah, they should. I can't wait. The gears are the big thing my combo is missing. I'll eventually pick up a 3" x pipe too, but the rear is my big thing now.

My stock posi unit was rebuilt about 4 years ago. Could I use one of those clutches in the new posi?

Grn92LX said:
Yeah, they should. I can't wait. The gears are the big thing my combo is missing. I'll eventually pick up a 3" x pipe too, but the rear is my big thing now.

My stock posi unit was rebuilt about 4 years ago. Could I use one of those clutches in the new posi?

yes you can they are the same clutches and metal plates (just make sure they are in GOOD shape)

if you want to save money, you can get the unit out of a ford truck or bronco (they are under 20 bucks at my local junkyard), most FMS parts are either re-badged parts from other companys or factory production parts

I plan on doing pretty much the same thing when I build up the rear end on my 93. Get a 31 spline diff out of a truck or explorer rebuild it and put in the extra clutch and see how it works.

Thanks guys!

Does this posi unit come with the carrier bearings? Im trying to figure out what bearings and seals I need. Wheres the best place to buy axle and pinion bearings/seals?

Grn92LX said:
Thanks guys!

Does this posi unit come with the carrier bearings? Im trying to figure out what bearings and seals I need. Wheres the best place to buy axle and pinion bearings/seals?

Mike usually they do not come with the carrier bearings, they need to be pressed on as well. Most local parts stores carry the bearings, I have been using the Timken bearings with no issues, they have the seals as well. I have a commercial account and may be able to save you a little cash if your interested ;) They also sell rear installation kits that come with all the parts you'll need including a shim etc

You'll need the inner pinion bearing and race, outer pinion bearing and race, pinion seal, carrier bearings, (axle bearings and seals or c-clip elimns), crush sleeve and a pinion nut, 3 qts of fluid and atleast 6oz of slip lube...

Should be problem re-using a good clutch from your old rear.

Rick that sounds good since I wanted to get the axles through you anyway. I figure I can do that and all the bearings/seals and crush sleeve and pinion nut that I need too.

According to Moser's site, lightening holes on the axles is $30 a pair. What is star flanges and is it worth the $50?

Can you Email me a price for 4 lug 31 spline Moser C clip axles with the lightening holes for my car? Also need axle studs too.

Also, when I buy the ford racing 4.30 gear set, what all does it include? I wanna be sure I dont forget anything.

Do you think a girdle is worth the money?

Will do....

I like the idea of the girdles, and run them on the rears I build.

The star flanges are just that, instead drilling holes in between the studs theare are shaped like a star with a lug on each leg of the star. That is what I have along with the gun drilling....

The older FMS gears use to come with a cruch sleeve and some shims but I haven't bought them in awhile. I have been using the Strange Gears or Motives recently.

guy on ebay sells them for like 50 bucks for thre heavy duty 7/8 pin 8 clutch unit. me and a friend both bought one from him and i put new clutches in them. we put my friends in last weekend and i plan to do mine this weekend if my axles come in.

Rick I guess i'll have to see a picture of a star flange to understand what it is. If I do just the $30lightening holes, how much weight does that save?

Nate, no im not doing it myself. I'm having a guy from work do the job for $200. I'll be helping though. Hopefully i'll learn a thing or 2 and then I can start doing rears myself on the side :nice: Take a road trip to NY when you finish your big inch monster. Spot me 3 and the brake and you got yourself a race ;)

extreme1.jpg

Mike my 33 spline axles, star flange, 5 lug 5/8", gun drilled were 7.5lbs lighter PER SIDE then my fathers 31 spline axles, 4 lug.

Rick that looks good. So you saved 7.5lbs over your dads non lightened axles? So I could either have mine star flanged or make them look like swiss cheese and have lightening holes drilled all over them? 15lbs of rotating weight for $50 sounds like a damn good deal to me. I like removing rotating weight :D

Im gonna order the ford racing differential and the 4.30 gears very soon from summit. I'll see if the gears come with the crish sleeve and shims. If not i'll order them from you along with the bearings, seals and axles. Sound like a plan? :nice: This way i'll knock everything out with only 2 orders :D

I run a 31 spline Ford Tlock and Moser axles. Maybe I'm the only one that has ever had a problem with the 31 spline Tlock, but when I went to freshen it up last year, I found a 1" long crack. The Tlock was used out of a Bronco with unknown milage, I don't have a girdle, and I run ET Streets at the track. The failure may have been from the combination of the above things. I really should get myself a girdle for the added strength.