anyone have the american thunder ctaback?

• Sponsors (?)

laser2kgt said:
i was thinking of getting this catback for the sound. can anyone who owns this catback tell me the pros and cons? which mid pipe do you all recommend with this?

I have the catback with 40 series flows. Honestly I don't have any cons about the system. It's a nice piece that comes with polished exhaust tips. It also sounds very good, like a typical flow setup. I have an MRT H-Pipe w/cats. It's a stainless steel piece, which won't rust like other pieces. Very nice piece as well. IMO, I would get an H-Pipe instead of an X with the flows. Sound too much like glasspacks to me. No offense to anyone with this setup....

Barker02GT said:
IMO, I would get an H-Pipe instead of an X with the flows. Sound too much like glasspacks to me. No offense to anyone with this setup....

I have an American Thunder catback and I have no regrets at all. Even when I had the stock H-Pipe there was a noticible difference. I had to go the magnaflow x pipe route because I'm from NY and had to stay legal. My stang went from sounding really good to awsome after the x-pipe install.

don't have flow on this car but have had them on about 5 cars in the past.

cons

1. drone but all aftermarts are going to drone to some extent but 40 seires are proably one of the worst. this is not con to some to other it is a big deal.

2. alumized I consider this a con because factory exhasut is stainless. if stock were alumized I would not cosider this a con.

3. Flow Many strait through mufflers out flow them. This is the main con in my book.

pro's

1. agressive sound Some poeple will sacrifice all just for thier sound.

as for midpipes it comes down to taste. I would run the dr.gas x-pipe to try to make up for the hp I lost by chosing flows. Peopls say it does not sound like a typical x because th crossove ris closer to the manifold. no first hand experince on this one this is just what I would try.

Don't mean to hijack, but since half the base of my question is being covered, does anyone have experience with both the American Thunder and the Force II catbacks? From Flowmaster, about all I can gather is AT is two chamber, Force II is three; AT is louder than Force II but Force II is louder than stock and doesn't drone as much cruising; Force II costs a little more. Anyone have more insight on tones and volume than relative observations from Flowmasters data?

I want to be louder than stock, but I don't want the whole neighborhood to know when I come home at 5AM on weekends.

Edit: Better yet for volume, I have a friend with a 97 Sunfire GT with Camero mufflers and resonators replacing his cats and you can literally hear him coming from over a mile away...that's louder than I want to go.

well if you keep you midpipe you can get away with 40's without anoying the whole nieborhood. if you change it out you may want the force 2. with 40 series you whole neiborhood will know evertime you leave. the 50 series mufflers still sound good they just are a bit melower. I really prefer the 50 series on a highly modified car. on my chevelle, 40's were just retarted. it was great if all you wanted to hear all the time is you exhaust. 50's were alot nicer on that car. I like my car to sound good but it does not have to just be as lound a possible.

www.mustangexhaust.com for a bunch of different sound clips you can listen to. Registration is required but it free and very quick.
Go with the AT catback. You won't be disappointed. I've still got the OEM H pipe, but soon (hopefully) that will be replaced with a catted H (to keep the sweet V8 noise down to a reasonable level). With just a cat back you won't wake the neighbors unless you're standing on it.

I have the AT cat-back, with long tubes and o/r H pipe, but for awhile I had just the cat-back. With the manifolds and cats, in my opinion its the best sounding exhaust, and horsepower gains with just a cat-back are probably negligable anyways. There is a mild drone at around 2200 rpm, but not very bad at all.

With the long tubes and o/r H, it got signifacantly louder and the sound changed to a slightly higher pitch??? When you accelerate, it also rapps pretty loud above 3k rpms. Hope this helps a little...

twogts4us said:
www.mustangexhaust.com for a bunch of different sound clips you can listen to. Registration is required but it free and very quick.
Go with the AT catback. You won't be disappointed. I've still got the OEM H pipe, but soon (hopefully) that will be replaced with a catted H (to keep the sweet V8 noise down to a reasonable level). With just a cat back you won't wake the neighbors unless you're standing on it.

my car is stock, so by adding the AT it'll be waay louder? however, catted H + AT= not so loud? this is what i understood by your post.

laser2kgt said:
my car is stock, so by adding the AT it'll be waay louder? however, catted H + AT= not so loud? this is what i understood by your post.

By stock, I assume you mean stock H pipe as well. The AT will not be overly loud on a stock car. When you go to an o/r H it will get much louder.

laser2kgt said:
i was thinking of getting this catback for the sound. can anyone who owns this catback tell me the pros and cons? which mid pipe do you all recommend with this?
I have an interior video with windows down from my digital camera of the combo (same mufflers from AT catback).. if you want to hear it email me at [email protected]

-wade

trubleu01gt said:
By stock, I assume you mean stock H pipe as well. The AT will not be overly loud on a stock car. When you go to an o/r H it will get much louder.

Right - With the stock H it's got a very mild idle, but wakes up after that. Still, it's quite a bit quieter than my wife's 01 GT with welded in flows and a custom H with single hi-flow cats. Prior to that she had an O/R H with flows into dumps - that crap had to go. We were choking on the fumes. We had the exhaust pipes from my 02 installed on her 01, along with new Flowmaster 40's and a new H with single cats. MUCH better and, as stated, quite a bit louder than the stock H. The mid pipe is the most restricting part of the SN95 Gen2 exhaust system. But I still recommend upgrading your exhaust from back to front.

I have the Flowmaster AT with a Mac Prochamber. It is the best sounding exhaust I have heard on a 4.6. I get compliments a few times a week. The other day I let my supervisor drive it to lunch and when he went by I was like :drool: . I heard a mustang and had no I idea it was mine until I looked around the corner. It sounds great on the inside of the car, but when you hear it drive by its even better.

:banana: Prochamber all the way. Theyre actually a little quieter than an o/r h pipe and x pipe. The chamber acts as a small muffler until you get above 3000 rpm. Gives you more tq and hp than the 2 other midpipes. Get ready to scare old people and make small kids cry. Prochamber and flows :hail2:

Hey just be aware that if you buy the american thunder cat back it has the delta flow 40s ...not just the regular old 40 series ...if you want them you need to buy the mufflers and the tails seperatly ...dont know why Flowmaster did that..

Oh ...and if you are getting the american thunder - get an X pipe!! smoother and cleaner sound than the H ..plus better performance