Anyone here do there own alignments.

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
I'm thinking of investing in alignment tools, and starting to do my own alignments. I have done alignments on older cars that weren't as challenging, but the Mustang presents some challenges that I'm not sure how to deal with. For one, the track is wider up front then in the back, so I'm not sure how to string the thrust angle. I've always never been able to get a good toe measurement on my Mustang. I have 2 spare wheels, so I'm sure I'll be able to get a magnetic caster camber gauge to work. I'm pretty sure I can get it to work on my weld wheels too, no chance with the Cobra Rs. Anyone have any tricks they could share?

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

I'm thinking of investing in alignment tools, and starting to do my own alignments. I have done alignments on older cars that weren't as challenging, but the Mustang presents some challenges that I'm not sure how to deal with. For one, the track is wider up front then in the back, so I'm not sure how to string the thrust angle. I've always never been able to get a good toe measurement on my Mustang. I have 2 spare wheels, so I'm sure I'll be able to get a magnetic caster camber gauge to work. I'm pretty sure I can get it to work on my weld wheels too, no chance with the Cobra Rs. Anyone have any tricks they could share?

Kurt

Are you talking about buying a hunter? or just measuring?

I'm thinking of buying a LongAcre magnetic caster/camber gauge for starts. That's very similiar to the tool I used before. Caster Camber is pretty easy to set if you have a level surface. Getting the thrust angle is a little more complicated. And the toe is pretty tough too.

Kurt

I'm thinking of buying a LongAcre magnetic caster/camber gauge for starts. That's very similiar to the tool I used before. Caster Camber is pretty easy to set if you have a level surface. Getting the thrust angle is a little more complicated. And the toe is pretty tough too.

Kurt

Whats done to your rear?? are we even able to adjust thrust angle on our cars?

Whats done to your rear?? are we even able to adjust thrust angle on our cars?

Nothing is done to the rear that would effect alignment. All alignments on Mustangs or any other car with a solid rear axle is considered a thrust angle alignment. On a car with adjustable toe on all 4 wheels, you adjust the toe so that the wheels are exactly perpendicular to the body. Obviously, the toe in the back of a Mustang is not adjustable. The assumption is that the wheels are already parrallel to the body. The truth is that they are not. On average, the wheelbase is about a 1/4" shorter on one side of the car. You measure how far off the toe is in the back of the car which is referred to as the thrust angle. You then mimic that angle with the front wheels. When everything is straight, the body of the car actually travels at a slight angle. This angle is of course not noticable. If the track is identical on the rear and front (which unfortunately it isn't on a Mustang), you attach a string to two jackstands. You then align that string from the front to the back of the car just touching the tires. If you have a gap on either side of the front wheel, that is how far off your forward toe is in reference to your thrust angle.

Kurt