Anyone here using a scatter shield?

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
Anyone here using a scatter shield? If so what brand are you using? Does the stock fork and quadrant need to be upgraded? What company sells one for a good price?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't use one, but I think the Lakewood one seems to be the standard. What transmission are you running? Those scatter shields have to be dialed in, and ajusted at the dowel pins.

Kurt

My 94 Gt is supercharged, it has a T5 with a king cobra clutch. The car makes around 430 rwhp. I do get on it hard sometimes on the street but I don't go to the track.

Revhead347, how much power does your car make? What clutch are you using?

I've been running a McLeod SFI unit for 4-5 years. It is basically the same as the Lakewood, but has variable mounting holes on one side so it fits both a T5 and Tremec. It is very heavy and a bit bulky and depending on what headers you use may need to be clearenced. It required a longer clutch fork and as with any non-stock bellhousing the runout (dialed in) should be checked during install. Mine cost about $280 I think.

If I were to do it all again I would get a QuickTime bell. They are a bit more expensive but much lighter and not as bulky.

Is your T5 stock? It may or may not last too long at that power level, all depends on how much it's abused.

My 94 Gt is supercharged, it has a T5 with a king cobra clutch. The car makes around 430 rwhp. I do get on it hard sometimes on the street but I don't go to the track.

Revhead347, how much power does your car make? What clutch are you using?
\

Not sure what I'm going to make with this engine. I ran my last engine for 10 years with the standard aluminum bellhousing that comes with the Tremec. The last engine made 491rwhp/630 rwtq. I use a SPEC 4+ solid hub clutch. A clutch usually comes apart if the RPMs get rediculously high. I honestly don't think there is much risk with a low rpm engine. Certainly not with a blower engine that's going to make good power at a reasonable rpm. I would just make sure you have a good ignition based rev limiter on the car and not worry about it. I had a coworker who spent 2 months in traction because a multi disk clutch went through his leg. That was on a late model circle track car that got bumped in the rear and the RPMs shot up over 12,000 though. I've honestly never heard of a clutch coming apart on a sub 7,000 rpm car. If you are going to get a scatter shield, I would wait until you have a decent transmission to go with it. A T-5 isn't going to hold out at those power levels forever anyway. Not many people in the market for a T-5 scatter shield either. There are scattershields available that bolt to the body of the car too. Those stop the clutch after it has exited the bellhousing. It sounds kind of silly, but at least then you don't have to sit there and dial in the bellhousing.

Kurt

According to the previous owner, he told me the T5 has beefed up internals. I can't verify if that is true or not. How do you diaL in and checkout the runout of the bell housing? What are the steps in doing this?

I've never checked the run out on a bellhousing, so I honestly don't know how to do it. There isn't much you can do to beef up a T-5 aside from putting a straight cut gear set in there, like a G-Force kit. You'd know if you had straight cut gears. The whine is quite intense.

Kurt

I've been running a McLeod SFI unit for 4-5 years. It is basically the same as the Lakewood, but has variable mounting holes on one side so it fits both a T5 and Tremec. It is very heavy and a bit bulky and depending on what headers you use may need to be clearenced. It required a longer clutch fork and as with any non-stock bellhousing the runout (dialed in) should be checked during install. Mine cost about $280 I think.

If I were to do it all again I would get a QuickTime bell. They are a bit more expensive but much lighter and not as bulky.

Is your T5 stock? It may or may not last too long at that power level, all depends on how much it's abused.

I have shory headers. What brand longer clutch fork are you using?