Anyone install factory leather seat covers?

Srt2Stang725

Aug 10, 2007
Has anyone done this themselves? I have a set and I really dont want to try it myself....I dont have the patience for that kind of thing...but if its easy i will do it myself....anyone have a how to? Or should i just have a shop do it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Has anyone done this themselves? I have a set and I really dont want to try it myself....I dont have the patience for that kind of thing...but if its easy i will do it myself....anyone have a how to? Or should i just have a shop do it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

yep, I've done it ........ its real work!

About three hours to do the front seats and about 2 more for the rear.

nothing too exotic, just a lot of tugging and fittng and lifting.

It's pretty straight-forward but you need to take your time, look and figure out how the side trim is held in place, don't just go yanking things apart, separate the velcro seat bottoms gently so you don't damage them and you will also need a good set of hog-ring pliers and small hog rings.

You have to de-power the air bags too (very important).

It's not hard but just don't rush it. Take lots of digital pictures as you take it apart so you can get it back together with no extra parts.

I did one for a friend and it looks as good as factory new.

Thanks for all the replies guys, cave diver...you did one for a friend with side-airbags? Are they attached to the seat itself? Not the covers I hope....thats really the only thing im scared about...ATII thank you for the video, that gives me much more confidence after seeing that....they said in the video to throw away the back foam....im hoping/assuming that that is just because the car was a v6 and the v6s have less support than GTs. Can anyone verify?

I was going to do it before I traded cars. A local shop wanted, I believe, $250 to do it. For that I would never attempt it myself.

Stan, I also got one quote for $250 and another for $350, and if it was something that I know was waaaay out of my league i would pay either without a problem...but it was me more being lazy than anything...but i thought those quotes were ridiculous especially being that it was just for the front 2 seats as i dont have covers for the rear seat....so thats when i said f that and decided to do it myself.

Thanks for all the replies guys, cave diver...you did one for a friend with side-airbags? Are they attached to the seat itself? Not the covers I hope....thats really the only thing im scared about...ATII thank you for the video, that gives me much more confidence after seeing that....they said in the video to throw away the back foam....im hoping/assuming that that is just because the car was a v6 and the v6s have less support than GTs. Can anyone verify?

Nope, no side airbags but I've seen a few threads about it and as long as your new covers are side air equipped it shouldn't be a problem. Remember, someone a lot dumber than you, working in a factory installed those in a few minutes. Just take your time and think before you act.

The set I did took me about 6 hours start to finish and that was with learning as I went. I know I could do another in 3-4 hours now that the first one is behind me.

Nope, no side airbags but I've seen a few threads about it and as long as your new covers are side air equipped it shouldn't be a problem. Remember, someone a lot dumber than you, working in a factory installed those in a few minutes. Just take your time and think before you act.

The set I did took me about 6 hours start to finish and that was with learning as I went. I know I could do another in 3-4 hours now that the first one is behind me.

lol thank you sir...i didnt think of it like that, i think this saturday is going to be the day. I will take some pics of the install and post them up when im done...also does anyone know of any rear leather seats for sale for a coupe...either covers or the whole seat....being that i couldnt buy the leather seats from newtakeoff or anywhere that sells them as a whole set because for some reason no one sells side airbag covers, i dont know if its because or reliability or what but i had to piece together a set, but so far i only have the fronts. Oh i also need headrests lol